Subject: [nfsv4] FedFS meeting today (12/11)

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:10:34 -0500 (EST)

We'll be meeting at the usual time and place:

    Time: Thursdays 1:30-2:30 PM EST/10:30-11:30 AM PST
 Dial-in: 1-888-765-3653 (us)
          303-218-2659 (international)
      Id: 2354843

Proposed Agenda
---------------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each weeks meeting with this announcement.

+ Review revised R15 text

	R15: It  SHOULD be possible for  multiple fileservers in the
	federation to project a namespace with a common root.

	a. It SHOULD be possible to define a root fileset  that is
		 exported by one or more fileservers in the federation 
		 as the top level of a namespace. [Corollary: There is 
		 one root fileset per namespace and it is possible to
		 support multiple namespaces per federation. ]

	b. It SHOULD be possible for a fileserver to locate an NSDB that
		stores the layout of a root fileset.

	c. It SHOULD be possible to access, store and update information
		related to a root fileset  using the federation protocols.

	d.  It SHOULD be possible to replicate a root fileset information
		across multiple repositories.

	e. If a root fileset if defined it SHOULD be possible, using the
		admin protocol, to enable a fileserver to export the root
		fileset for client access.

+ Additional requirements draft comments

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Paul Lemahieu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:36:08 -0800

James,

Can anyone summarize the state of the NFSv4 client implementations  
with regards to handling NFSv4 referrals?

I'd be curious to hear the current state of implementations, and what  
functionality we can expect to see across various clients.

--Paul

On 2008-Dec-11, at 6:10, James Lentini wrote:

> <ATT3614564.txt>

---

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:11:16 -0500 (EST)

The NFSv4 clients for Linux, AIX, and HPUX support referrals. There 
may be others clients out there as well. For example, Rick Macklem 
mentioned on this thread that referral support is on the todo list for 
his BSD implementation:

 http://mailman.theapt.org/pipermail/openbsd-nfsv4/2008-November/000175.html

My expectation is that all NFSv4 client will eventually include 
referral support, but I don't have any special insider knowledge on 
this.

-james

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Paul Lemahieu wrote:

> James,
> 
> Can anyone summarize the state of the NFSv4 client implementations with
> regards to handling NFSv4 referrals?
>

---

From: Phil Pishioneri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:25:00 -0500

> functionality we can expect to see across various clients.

Related to referrals, does someone know where client replica support 
stands for various platforms? I know AIX supports it.

-Phil

---

From: Robert Thurlow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:04:24 -0700

> stands for various platforms? I know AIX supports it.

Solaris supports read-only replicas via manual mounts and
the automounter.

Rob T