Subject: [nfsv4] FedFS Meeting Minutes, 12/04/2008

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:21:24 -0500 (EST)

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 12/04/2008
---------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Craig Everhart (NetApp)
Dan Lovinger (Microsoft)
Renu Tewari (IBM/ARC)
Robert Thurlow (Sun)
Mario Wurzl (EMC)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each weeks meeting with this announcement.

+ Review Action Items

  [AI] James Lentini will create a new version of the requirements draft next
       week

  Completed last week. Any feedback on the new draft?

  James will send Dan Lovinger an email with new requirements draft.

  Craig has reviewed the document. He has some nits that he will send in
  email.

  Craig's had some questions about the new R15 text. Renu is going 
  to send updated R15 text.

  Renu noted that the term "junction key" is still in the document. 
  James will search the document and remove this term.

+ Windows SMB Interoperability

  Dan Lovinger is soliciting questions on how SMB interoperability. He is open 
  to questions during the meeting or over email.

  Dan believes that a mapping from DFS to FedFS would be possible. 
  Implementing the root of the namespace is an interesting question.

  Some questions:

  Do all the servers need to export all the protocols?

  That would be open for discussion. It was noted that creating a multiprotocol 
  client is relatively harder than creating a dual protocol server. 

  Do clients need to be capable of transitioning protocols?

  Dan had been thinking that all clients not be multiprotocol.

+ IETF NFSv4 Meeting Feedback

  The charter update to include FedFS is underway.

  Dan Lovinger attended the meeting in person. One comment he found
  interesting during the FedFS presentation was that this has the 
  potential of eliminating the automounter. Rob concurred that management
  of the centrally located automounter maps is difficult. There is also cross
  platform/cross implementation problems. 

  There are some interesting features in the automap feature that are
  interesting, like mounting platform specific binaries. The NFSv4 spec has some
  of these features.

  At the same time, the automounter lacks some features, such as failover.

  The meeting audio was available here:

  http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/

  and archived here:

  ftp://videolab.uoregon.edu/pub/videolab/media/ietf73/

  Two other points were raised:

	- Access Control in the Federation
	- NSDB Replication Semantics

  We will need to address these in future versions of the drafts.

  Renu discovered that there is an experimental RFC, RFC 4533, that is a standard 
  for LDAP content synchronization. OpenLDAP uses this mechanism. Renu will 
  investigate if other LDAP implementations support this.
  Dan will ask about the Active Directory implementation.
_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4