Subject: [nfsv4] FedFS Meeting Minutes, 12/18/2008

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 14:42:13 -0500 (EST)

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 12/18/2008
---------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Craig Everhart (NetApp)
Paul Lemahieu (EMC)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Renu Tewari (IBM/ARC)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each weeks meeting with this announcement.

+ Weekly Meetings

  The next two FedFS calls fall on Christmas and New Year's day 
  respectively. We agreed to hold the next call on January 8.

+ Re-publishing Requirements Document

  Craig sent fixes for several typos. 

  The only remaining task is to update document to use the new 
  IETF boilerplate. James will republish the document before the 
  holiday break.

+ Connectathon

  Rob was unable to attend and present his ideas on Connectathon.

  In his absence, we discussed participation in general.

  We discussed taking part in the interop portion of the event. The 
  general consensus was that there would not be enough time for 
  many organizations to participate. 

  We also discussed making a presentation. There have been 
  presentations on FedFS at several previous Connectathons. 
  Renu and Theresa Raj gave a presentation last year.  We agreed 
  that this was a good idea. We did not identify who would be able
  to give a presentation.

+ FAST '09 BOF

  Renu pointed out that there has been a FedFS BOF at several 
  previous FAST conferences. We discussed proposing another 
  BOF this year and agreed it would be a good idea.

+ LDAP Discussion

  We had a brief discussion on the NSDB's consistency semantics. 
  Leif Johansson suggested we use the terms defined in RFC 3254
  when describing our requirements. Not everyone on the call had
  reviewed RFC 3254, but the "loose, converging consistency" 
  model appeared to fit our expectations for NSDB consistency.
  We agreed to discuss this issue further and make our consistency 
  requirements clear in the next update to the NSDB document.
_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Robert Thurlow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:13:13 -0700

>   Rob was unable to attend and present his ideas on Connectathon.

Hey folks, I apologize - I spaced this; I blame a cold that
hit me as partly responsible, not that that's a good excuse.

>   many organizations to participate. 

Just to clarify this: we'll host replication/migration testing
again, which means that is anyone can bring any referrals
code, client or server, we could do something useful.  If one
vendor was able to show up with a server returning referrals
based on a FedFS LDAP lookup, that would also be a sign of
tangible progress.  I don't know if it is feasible for me to
dust off Sun's referrals prototype to bring, but I'll try.
Is anyone able to bring bits?  Certainly some of us will be
there testing other code.

>   that this was a good idea. We did not identify who would be able

I'd like to see a presentation; I've promised one to the
Connectathon talks organizer.  I can present if need be, but
would be just fine with someone else presenting as well.  If
I present, I'd need some help.

Rob T

---

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 12:40:43 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Robert Thurlow wrote:

> > general consensus was that there would not be enough time for   many
> > organizations to participate. 
> 
> >   We also discussed making a presentation. There have been   presentations
> > on FedFS at several previous Connectathons.   Renu and Theresa Raj gave a
> > presentation last year.  We agreed   that this was a good idea. We did not
> > identify who would be able
> >   to give a presentation.
> 

A presentation sounds like a good idea. I think you'd be an excellent 
presenter. Let me know what I can do to help.
_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4