Subject: [nfsv4] Question on NFSv4 ClientID generation?

From: Upakul Barkakaty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:57:19 +0530

Hi all,

I have been doing some R&D on NFSv4 client lately. As noted in
RFC3530, one of these operations, Operation 35: SETCLIENTID involves
the negotiation and registration of the client id and callback
function by the NFSv4 client.

My question is on how this clientid is supposed to be generated by the
NFS client? Is it done dynamically or is there some kind of
hardcoding?

Warm regards,
Upakul Barkakaty

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:16:25 -0500

> NFS client? Is it done dynamically or is there some kind of

Which NFS client?  If you're interested in some specific client, just
run it, watch the traffic in wireshark, and look for the
setclientid--you'll probably be able to figure out what it's doing.

If you're interested in what the spec says about what the client should
do, see section 8.1.1 of rfc 3530.

--b.

> 
> Warm regards,
> Upakul Barkakaty
> _______________________________________________
> nfsv4 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Upakul Barkakaty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:06:02 +0530

Thanks Bruce. I had another question on ClientIDs.

Suppose we mount 2 directories on the same server from the same
client, will we need 2 different clientIDs for the same? Or would a
single ClientID would suffice, as we are supposed to be mounting the
filesystem and not the individual directories?

-- 
Regards,
Upakul Barkakaty