Subject: [nfsv4] 4.1: Server release of clientid

From: "Peter Varga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 10:58:13 -0500

I would appreciate some guidance on when a server can release a
clientid. Some of the added text in 4.1 is 

>From 2.4.2.  Server Release of Client ID:

"

   If the server determines that the client holds no associated state

   for its client ID (including sessions, opens, locks, delegations,

   layouts, and wants), the server may choose to unilaterally release

   the client ID in order to conserve resources.

"

>From 8.2.4.  Stateid Lifetime and Validation:

"

   If the locks are lost due to revocation the stateid remains a valid

   designation of that revoked state until the client frees it by using

   FREE_STATEID. 

"

So, simply put, if a client crashes and never reboots, can a server
eventually release the clientid ? The text from 8.2.4 seems to indicate
not. And as for 2.4.2, I'm not sure whether revoked state qualifies as
"associated state".

Thanks

---

From: "Mike Eisler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 07:33:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, March 7, 2009 8:58 am, Peter Varga wrote:
> eventually release the clientid ?

Yes.

> The text from 8.2.4 seems to indicate
> not.

If there's no client ID, FREE_STATEID would not get very far. I'll
plan to change it to:

   If the locks are lost due to revocation, as long as the client ID
   is valid, the stateid remains a valid
   designation of that revoked state until the client frees it by using
   FREE_STATEID.

> And as for 2.4.2, I'm not sure whether revoked state qualifies as
> "associated state".

Since we don't want clients with revoked state to prevent clean up
of the client ID, how about:

   If the server determines that the client holds no associated state
   for its client ID (associated state includes unrevoked sessions,
   opens, locks, delegations, layouts, and wants), the server may
   choose to unilaterally release the client ID in order to
   conserve resources.

-- 
Mike Eisler, Senior Technical Director, NetApp, 719 599 9026,
http://blogs.netapp.com/eislers_nfs_blog/

---

From: "Peter Varga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:52:34 -0400

Thanks Mike.

Your changes are certainly helpful.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Mike Eisler
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 10:34 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] 4.1: Server release of clientid

Yes.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4