Subject: [nfsv4] WG Action: RECHARTER: Network File System Version 4 (nfsv4)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

The charter of the Network File System Version 4 (nfsv4) working group in
the Transport Area of the IETF has been updated.  For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the working group
Chairs.

Network File System Version 4 (nfsv4)
======================================

Last Modified: 2009-02-10

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Brian Pawlowski <[email-masked]> 
Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Director(s):
Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]> 
Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Advisor:
Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> 

Technical Advisor(s):
Leif Johansson <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/index.html

Description of Working Group:

NFS Version 4 is the IETF standard for file sharing. To maintain NFS
Version 4's utility and currency, the working group is chartered to (1)
maintain the existing NFSv4, NFSv4.1 and related specifications, such
as RPC and XDR, (2) progress these specifications along the standards
track, (3) develop a protocol to create a federated namespace using
NFSv4's existing referral mechanisms.

(1) NFS version 4.0 maintenance

Under this charter item, the WG correct errors and ambiguities in the
protocol currently specified in RFC 3530 and advances it along the
standards track. Extensions of any other kind are out of scope under
this charter item.

(2) NFS Version 4.1 Maintenance

As with NFSv4.0, the WG will address errors or ambiguities in the
NFSv4.1 protocol and related specifications in support of progressing
implementations.

(3) RPC and XDR protocol maintenance

The NFSv4 protocol depends on two related specifications: ONC
RPC and XDR. Similar to charter item (1), the WG may correct errors and
ambiguities in the ONC RPC and XDR protocols currently specified by RFCs
1831, 1833 and 2203. In conjunction with the advancement of the NFSv4
specification along the standards track, the WG will also work on the
advancements of its ONC RPC and XDR dependencies. The WG will also
update the ONC RPC specification for compatibility with IPv6.
Additionally, it will create an IANA registry for RPC program numbers
and seed it with a registry Sun has been maintaining.

(4) Federated Namespace

The NFSv4 protocol provides a referral mechanism that allows a
server to redirect a client to another server. The working group
will produce documents describing a mechanism for creating a federated
namespace (single global name space for a set of NFSv4 servers)
using the NFSv4 protocol's referral capabilities. The file system
federation protocol will enable file access and namespace traversal
across collections of independently administered fileservers. No
modifications will be made to the NFS client to server protocol.

Milestones:

DONE WG Last Call for RPC and NFS RDMA drafts

DONE WG Last Call for rfc1831bis (RPC version 2) 

DONE WG Last Call for NFSv4 minor version 1 

DONE WG Last Call for NFSv4.1 block/volume layout 

DONE WG Last Call for NFSv4.1 Object-based layout 

DONE Submit NFS Minor Version 1 to IESG for publication as a Proposed
Standard 

DONE Submit pNFS Block/Volume Layout to IESG for publication as a
Proposed Standard 

DONE Submit Object-based pNFS Operations to IESG for publication as a
Proposed Standard 

Sep 2009 WG Last Call for rfc3530bis (NFS version 4)

May 2009 WG Last Call for "Requirements for Federated File Systems"
draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-reqts-01

Oct 2009 WG Last Call for "Administration Protocol for Federated
Filesystems"draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-admin-00.txt

Oct 2009 WG Last Call for "NSDB Protocol for Federated Filesystems"
draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-protocol-00.txt