Subject: [nfsv4] Protocol Action: 'RPC: Remote Procedure Call Protocol Specification Version 2' to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 08:25:01 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RPC: Remote Procedure Call Protocol Specification Version 2 '
   <draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc1831bis-13.txt> as a Draft Standard

This document is the product of the Network File System Version 4 Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lars Eggert and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc1831bis-13.txt

Technical Summary

This document is intended to replace RFC 1831 as the
authoritative document describing RPC, without introducing
any over-the-wire protocol changes. The update includes
transition of the RPC program and authentication registries
to IANA along with appropriate rules for new entry requests.
It also provides additional discussion the the security
considerations section based on experience with strong
security flavors.

Working Group Summary

There is a long implementation history of this protocol and
the main intent of this document update is to move the RPC
RFC to Draft Standard. There has been strong support of this
within the RPC community and specifically within the working
group.

Document Quality

Given the review time, the numerous implementations in
existence and the updates that have been done, the quality of
this document is high.

Personnel

Spencer Shepler ([email-masked]) is the Document
Shepherd. Lars Eggert ([email-masked]) reviewed this
document for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor
 
Please make the following substitution in section 14:

OLD

   AUTH_DH as mentioned in sections 8.2 and 13.4.2 is considered
   obsolete and insecure; see [RFC2695].  AUTH_SYS SHOULD NOT be used
   for services which permit clients to modify data.  AUTH_DH MUST NOT
   be specified as RECOMMENDED or REQUIRED for any standards-track RPC
   service.

NEW

   AUTH_DH as mentioned in sections 8.2 and 13.4.2 is considered
   obsolete and insecure; see [RFC2695].  AUTH_DH SHOULD NOT be used
                                               ^^
   for services which permit clients to modify data.  AUTH_DH MUST NOT
   be specified as RECOMMENDED or REQUIRED for any standards-track RPC
   service.