Subject: [nfsv4] FedFS Meeting Minutes, 04/02/2009

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:35:56 -0400 (EDT)

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 04/02/2009
---------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Craig Everhart (NetApp)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Renu Tewari (IBM)
Robert Thurlow (Sun)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each week's meeting with this announcement.

+ Review Action Items

  - James Lentini will draft text for the root 
    fileset's attribute (ACL) requirements

    Here's is the text I've put together (to be added to the requirements 
    doc's R15). I've tried to capture what we discussed on the call last 
    week. Let's discuss on the call today:

     The root fileset MUST support all required attributes as defined in 
     NFSv4.1 Section 5.6. The root fileset MUST NOT support any 
     recommended or named attributes.

  Craig suggested changing MUST NOT to SHOULD NOT and objected to making 
  a blanket statement about all recommended attributes.

  Robert suggested listing each of the recommended attributes and for 
  each one indicating if the attribute it MUST be supported by 
  the root fileset, MUST NOT be supported, or MAY (don't care) be supported.

  With no ACLs, anyone can see the root fileset. The analogy is with the NFSv4 
  root namespace. If you share a directory, the directory is visible even if 
  it is far down in the namespace.

  We agreed that named attributes are not needed in the root fileset.

  Craig pointed out that there was not reason to say anything about required 
  attributes.

  We agreed that the contents and capabilities of the root fileset should 
  be minimized.

  If all the contents of the root fileset are created from LDAP, the root 
  fileset needs to be kept simple. Including this motivation would help 
  explain these restrictions. 

  We also agreed that the root fileset should be read only via NFS. An
  administrator would be able to modify the root fileset via LDAP.

  The questions was raised about how to accommodate future (NFSv4.X) 
  attributes that might be defined after FedFS. The proposal was to 
  make these optional for the root fileset.

  [AI] James Lentini will re-phrase the root fileset's attribute requirements.

+ Review open issues and plan resolution

  - Root fileset

    Our plan is to revise the root fileset MS Word document into a 
    IETF I-D format. The root fileset schema was the item we were 
    stuck on.

    [AI] Renu Tewari will create a root fileset I-D.

  - Identity Mapping

    We believe this is a problem beyond FedFS. We will 
    discuss this on the reflector.

  - Fileserver hints for invalid cached FSN -> FSL mappings (during migration)

    [AI] James Lentini schedule FedFS meeting time to discuss.

  - other items?
	- root fileset attributes text needs to be added to requirements
	  document
	- requirements document nits

  We will send an email for each of the items that we feel are closed.