Subject: [nfsv4] server-to-server protocol definition(Was: server-side copy offload I-D)

From: "Erasani, Pranoop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 04:00:38 -0700

Does source need to know more about the mode/protocol of choice between
source and destination? I will ask it differently below.
 
The introduction section says:
 
    If the source object and destination object are on different file
   servers, the file servers will communicate with one another to
   perform the copy operation.  The server-to-server protocol by which
   this is accomplished is not defined in this document.

Sure. But at the same time, there seems to be an implicit assumption
that just specifying the netloc4 would accomadate all kinds of
protocols. If accomadating all protocols was the intention, I do not see
how just specifying the netloc4 would truly identify a particular
protocol/service, through which the source can authorize the actial I/O.
 
Sorry, if this was covered earlier. It was incredibly hard to follow the
discussion with so many e-mails going on.
 
- Pranoop