Subject: [nfsv4] [FedFS] Meeting Minutes, 05/21/2009

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 14:41:03 -0400 (EDT)

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 05/21/2009
---------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Andy Adamson (NetApp)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Pavan Mettu (Sun)
Rob Thurlow (Sun)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each week's meeting with this announcement.

+ Review Action Items

  - James Lentini will draft migration and cached FSN to FSL mappings text

    Complete, but further discussion is required.

    James sent draft text to the mailing list. Craig and Andy sent comments 
    on the mailing list to the proposal.

    We discussed Andy's ideas. Andy expanded on his idea, noting that the 
    admin software that performs the migration would be the entity that 
    would inform the list of fileservers that their caches are 
    invalid.

    James observed that the high level problem is that the fileserver 
    with the invalid cache does not receive feedback that its cache is 
    invalid. Instead, the client is the one that discovers that the 
    cache is invalid.

    Rob observed that Andy's idea is similar to a delegation. James 
    observed that with this capability the fileserver's could cache 
    the mapping indefinitely.

    We will discuss this further on the mailing list and at next weeks
    meeting.

  - James Lentini will check on the status of the DNS SRV specification.

    Thanks to Rob Thurlow for point out that the draft has expired. 
    Craig Everhart re-published the draft last Friday.

+ Requirements Draft Last Call

  James re-published the requirements draft on Monday with the 
  updates from the WG last call period.

  Spencer Shepler will be shepherding the document.

+ Bake-a-thon (June 15-19)
  http://www.connectathon.org/bakeathon/

  There are no plans to have an NSDB at the event.

  The testing will be on referrals. There are 4.0 referrals
  implementations ready, and perhaps some 4.1 referrals will 
  ready.

  Tigran Mkrtchyan, from DESY (German research organization),
  will be at the event. They use X.509 certificates with Kerberos. 
  See Connectathon presentations. Andy believes that he may be 
  interested in our work.

+ Root Fileset

  Skipped since Renu was not present.

+ NFSv4 Multi Domain Federated FS Access

  James sent Andy some comments on his draft.

  Andy is working on an update to the document.