Subject: [nfsv4] [FedFS] Meeting Minutes, 05/07/2009

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 15:03:49 -0400 (EDT)

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 05/07/2009
---------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Andy Adamson (NetApp)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Renu Tewari (IBM)
Rob Thurlow (Sun)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each week's meeting with this announcement.

+ Review Action Items

  - Renu Tewari will create a root fileset I-D.

    Complete. See discussion below.

  - James Lentini will draft migration and cached FSN to FSL mappings text

    Open.

  - James Lentini will draft annotations syntax text

    Open. James has a new idea for how to implement this in LDAP. He is
    testing his idea using OpenLDAP. 

+ Announcements

  Andy has been working on a multi-domain NFSv4 access proposal. He will share
  it with the group.

+ Requirements Draft Last Call

  Last call on the requirements draft began Monday and will last two weeks.

  It is appropriate to send notes in support of the draft. James sent a note
  earlier today.

+ Bake-a-thon (June 15-19)
  http://www.connectathon.org/bakeathon/

  Rob announced that he has a development version of Solaris with a
  referrals-capable client and server.

  Rob suggested that referrals or fedfs testing at the June Bake-a-thon.

  Referrals testing seems the most feasible. Several referrals-capable
  implementations are scheduled to be at the Bake-a-thon: Solaris
  (client + server), Linux (client + server), and Data ONTAP (server).

  Not sure if AIX or HPUX, both of which also support referrals, will also be
  in attendance.

  Rob will request time for referrals testing at the Bake-a-athon.

+ Root Fileset

  Renu gave an overview of her document. As we had agreed upon in our meetings, 
  it presents a single root fileset with a NSDB pull model. The document is 
  still a work in progress. Some sections are incomplete (for example the 
  root fileset objects full LDAP schema is not finalized). 

  Renu took the approach of representing the root fileset with an LDAP 
  entry for each node in the root filset namespace. There is an LDAP 
  directory object and each directory in the root fileset will have an LDAP
  entry. Renu would like more thoughts on how the LDAP objects will 
  represent the root fileset.

  James had a few questions.

  Is there one root NSDB (with multiple instances) or multiple root NSDBs
  (with multiple instances)? Renu noted that the text was somewhat vague 
  on this point. The idea is that there is one root NSDB, possibly with 
  multiple instances. James agreed that this matched the precedent set by 
  the non-root entities (fileservers and non-root NSDBs are administered 
  by one party; FSN and FSLs are stored in one NSDB). However, is having 
  a single root NSDB a natural arraignment for a cross-enterprise 
  namespace? Renu suggested that text be added noting that this case was not 
  addressed.

  How is a fileserver configured to server the root fileset? Is the 
  fileserver configured through the ONC RPC Admin protocol or
  via implementation specific user interfaces? It seems logical to add 
  a new ONC RPC request to the Admin protocol to support configuring 
  a fileserver as the root fileserver. The request would indicate the 
  root FSN. The fileserver would be responsible for resolving the root FSN to
  a root FSL (which contains the root fileset directory structure).