Subject: [nfsv4] [FedFS] Meeting Minutes, 07/16/2009

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:21:53 -0400 (EDT)

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 07/16/2009
---------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Andy Adamson (NetApp)
Dan Ellard (BBN)
Craig Everhart (NetApp)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Pavan Mettu (Sun)
Trond Myklebust (NetApp)
Renu Tewari (IBM)
Sorin Faibish (EMC)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each week's meeting with this announcement.

+ Review NSDB Draft Update

 We quickly reviewed the following:

 - Formatting changes: moved key words to the front to make 
   introduction section 1, and general changes to make 
   document print better.

 - Tightened up the introduction

 - Added UUID recommendations

 - Added "Caching of Fileset Locations" section

 - Removed section on "Interaction with client protocols" 
   per our discussion last week

 - Added "extract.sh" description and formatted XDR to match

 - Described encoding for FedFS LDAP types (most are UTF-8, 
   fslNfsInfo is Octet String syntax).

 - Added format for "annotation" type

 - Added fedfsFsl object hierarchy with fedfsNfsFsl and 
   option for future object types.

 - Explained how combination of the FedFS DN requirements 
   (DN must contain UUID) and LDAP requirements (DN 
   must be unique) ensures that no two FSN or FSL 
   objects will have the same UUID.

 - Removed conclusions section

 - Expanded IANA Considerations

 - Updated and added references

 - Review text of Section 7.1.2 (now Section 5.1.2)

 - Misc. fixes: file system -> filesystem for consistency 
   with document title, replaced "this draft" with "this
   document", etc.

+ Review Admin Draft Update

 We quickly reviewed the following:

 - Formatting changes: moved key words to the front to make 
   introduction section 1, and general changes to make 
   document print better (shrunk for 23 to 16 pages).

 - Added "extract.sh" description and formatted XDR to match

 - Fixed nits: Removed "NOT REQUIRED" and changed 
   "IANA Considerations" to "IANA Requirements" 

 - Removed conclusions section

 - Updated references to ONC RPC (RFC1831 -> RFC5531)

+ Discuss draft-noveck-nfsv4-referrals
  http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-noveck-nfsv4-referrals-00.txt

  This draft came up on the call last week, but we moved 
  on to another topic before having time to discuss it.

  The draft is needed to clarify v4.0 (RFC3530) and 
  describe the use of referrals in v4.0. The ideas in 
  this draft are reflected in the v4.1 text.

  We agreed that FedFS does not require action to be taken 
  on this draft. 

  It may be useful for this text to be published on its own, 
  as part of a v4.0 best practices document, as an update 
  to v4.0, or none of the above.

+ LDAP Expert Review

  James reported that he intends to begin the LDAP expert 
  review process outlined in the IANA Considerations 
  section of the NSDB draft within the week (probably 
  tomorrow).

+ Discuss WG presentation

  We reviewed what material we would present at the 
  WG meeting.

+ OpenDS

  Pavan reported that he was able to install the FedFS schema in an 
  OpenDS LDAP Directory. The process went relatively smoothly.