Subject: [nfsv4] NFSv4.1 RFC end game has started

From: "Mike Eisler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 17:28:33 -0700

The RFC Editor has provided the editors a draft version of the
RFCs for NFSv4.1. The state of these documents is "AUTH48" which
originally meant the authors had 48 hours to accept or reject
the RFC Editor's versions of the documents. This is no longer true;
the documents do not become RFCs until the authors (editors in
this case of NFSv4.1) bless the changes from the submitted I-D
and the RFC. Given the size of NFSv4.1 document, and given it took us
10 months to get to this point, I plan for this to be as fast as possible
and no faster. Put more plainly, I expect to have RFCs available
no later than the end of calendar year 2009.

My task is to reconcile what the RFC editor has changed
relative to draft-ietf-nfsv4-minorversion1-29 with what the NFSv4.1 editors
have changed relative to -29.

I plan to do this in two phases, and at each point share my edits
with the working group.

(1) The RFC Editor has made and/or proposed changes to the XDR
    descriptions of the protocol. I will incorporate the changes
    that make sense to me (and do not change over the network encodings,
    nor change NFSv4.0 elements) and post these as part of 7th round of
    changes (PAv7).

(2) Once we have WG consensus on this, I will then reconcile all of
    RFC Editors changes with the rounds of changes (6 and counting
    so far) that the editors have made. These will be provided to
    the working group before submitting to the RFC editor

The first phase is likely to involve iterations between me and the WG.
The second phase is likely to involve iterations between me and the
WG and me and the RFC Editor.

The next thing I will do is post changes to the protocol description
(aka .x file) the RFC Editor has made or is proposing to make. These
will be relative to PAV6

-- 
Mike Eisler, Senior Technical Director, NetApp, 719 599 9026,
http://blogs.netapp.com/eislers_nfs_blog/