Subject: [nfsv4] Version 4.0 question on delegation and OPEN4_RESULT_CONFIRM

From: Steven Huntington <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:07:40 -0700

All,

While poking around with delegation, I notice that some servers are able to
grant delegation on an open that requires a confirmation as well, and some
clients do the required confirm.

However, RFC 3530 states in section 8.1.8:

  o  The server must not bestow a delegation for any open which would
      require confirmation.

Usually there are flexibilites within the protocol, but I am reading the
above snippet as a "MUST NOT".  I also recognize that many clients wil have
a new open_owner with most opens, and not granting delegation for a
first-time owner means that delegation would rarely be granted.

Can I assume that this particular "must not" is not considered as absolute
as it may sound?  Did we discuss this already in the archives?  I cannot
find a discussion of this topic.  Thanks for any pointers.

Cheers,

Steve Huntington, IBM San Jose

Phone:       (408) 463-2716 (T/L 543-2716)
Fax:         (408) 463-4727
Office:      SVL 90-D215
Internet:    [email-masked]
Lotus Notes: Steven Huntington/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS

---

From: Rick Macklem <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 18:48:50 -0400 (EDT)

> find a discussion of this topic.  Thanks for any pointers.
Imo the "must not" is clear. If a server is replying to an Open with a
Delegation and Confirmation_required, I think it's broken.

rick