Subject: [nfsv4] FedFS Meeting Minutes, 10/15/2009

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 15:08:26 -0400 (EDT)

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 10/15/2009
---------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Andy Adamson (NetApp)
Sorin Faibish (EMC)
Paul Lemahieu (EMC)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Chris Stacey (EMC)
Renu Tewari (IBM)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each week's meeting with this announcement.

+ Austin NFS Bake-a-thon Wrap-up

  James reported on his activities at the Bake-a-thon. 
  NFS servers were able to retrieve FSN and FSL information 
  from the LDAP directory James setup with the -03 
  NSDB schema.

  Trond posted his Linux FedFS NFS server implementation 
  on linux-nfs.org.

  Sorin reported on lock testing.

+ Requirements Draft Update

  Available at:

  http://jlentini.users.sourceforge.net/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-reqts-05.txt

  and diff at:

  http://jlentini.users.sourceforge.net/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-reqts-rfcdiff.html

  Plan is to post to IETF website on 10/16.

  We discussed the new security considerations text. 

  Renu asked about the paragraph beginning "FSNs are 
  likely to be long lived resources." James explained 
  that this incorporated the discussion on this thread 

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg07436.html

+ NSDB Draft Update

  - Adds support for an arbitrary NSDB search base
    (NSDB Container Entry)

    As we discussed last week, the requirement that the 
    NSDB's LDAP DIT is rooted at "o=fedfs" will be 
    removed to allow for more flexibility in configurations. 
    To accomplish this, the distinguished name of the LDAP 
    entry containing the FedFS subtree becomes a new NSDB
    attribute. We discussed names for this entry. The 
    current proposal is to call this the NSDB Container Entry 
    (NCE). NCE appears to convey the intended meaning and 
    doesn't collide with another relevant acronym.

  - New attributes for fls_info fields

    Nico suggested breaking the fedfsNfsInfo attribute into 
    its individual fields at the Bake-a-thon. This sounds 
    like a good idea. It allows searching on the individual 
    fields. James is preparing this for the next NSDB 
    draft update.

  - Updates examples

    Some reviewers have asked for clarifications on the 
    examples. James did a pass over the example text and 
    clarified a few points.

+ Admin Draft Update

  - Trust Anchors

    Nico suggested that the Admin protocol either 
    include support for trust anchor management or 
    reference a protocol like TAMP:

    http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-pkix-tamp-03.txta

    His concern is that there be a secure channel for 
    an administrative node to communicate TA information 
    (especially self-signed NSDB certificates) from the 
    NSDB to the fileserver. We'll need to discuss how 
    to meet this requirement.

+ NFSv4 Migrations

  We reviewed how migrations work in NFSv4 and 
  discussed the differences between the fs_locations 
  information in NFSv4 and the fs_locations_info information 
  in NFSv4.1.