Subject: [nfsv4] [FedFS] meeting agenda (10/22)

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:59:47 -0400 (EDT)

Tomorrow's proposed agenda is below. We will focus on reviewing the 
NSDB and Admin draft updates described below. Please let me know if 
you would like to add additional topics.

    Time: Thursdays 1:30-2:30 PM EST/10:30-11:30 AM PST
 Dial-in: 1-888-765-3653 (us)
          303-218-2659 (international)
      Id: 2354843

Proposed Agenda
---------------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each week's meeting with this announcement.

+ NSDB Draft Update

  The working version of the NSDB draft is here

   http://jlentini.users.sourceforge.net/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-protocol-04.txt

  and a diff against the -03 version is here:

   http://jlentini.users.sourceforge.net/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-protocol-rfcdiff.html

  The update includes:

  * updated boilerplate for pre-RFC5378 contributions
  * Removed NFS-specific FSL fields from the overview and concepts 
    section. With the number of NFS-specific fields growing, the 
    overview was becoming drowned in details.
  * Changed "NSDB location" and "NSDB server" to "NSDB node" for 
    consistency. The "NSDB node" term is what we define in the 
    glossary, use occasionally in the NSDB draft, and use in the 
    requirements document.
  * Clarified examples in Section 3 (Nico requested this on the mailing 
    list)
  * Added the NSDB Container Entry concept to allow flexible LDAP 
    configurations (Nico requested this on the mailing list)
  * Removed text about the conventional DN of the privileged LDAP user 
    (cn=admin,o=fedfs). Nico recommended this on the mailing list.
  * Added CODE BEGINS/CODE ENDS markers to LDAP schema to clearly 
    indicate the license on these definitions.
  * Defined a fedfsNfsPathname to be an XDR encoded field. There 
    are concerns about viewing and editing this field to discuss.
  * Split fsl_info into separate attributes for flag bits, class,
    order, and rank fields. This allows searches on these individual 
    attributes.
  * Listed the references to the FedFS admin protocol and FedFS 
    requirements as informational. Neither are required to implement 
    the NSDB protocol and the requirements draft, as an informational 
    document, cannot be a normative reference.
  * Added tracking FSN references as an example use of annotations
  * Stated that an FSL's validFor (time a client may cache a referral) and 
    TTL (time a server may cache a referral) may be different.
  * LDAP UID space partitioned more logically with 1-99 for generic attributes, 
    100-199 for NFS attributes, 1000+ for object classes
  * NFS FSL format doesn't contain attribute for FSLI4GF_CUR_REQ or FSLI4GF_ABSENT
    These will be set by the fileserver. Should the document say something
    about this?

  TODO: Use of DNS SRV for locating an NSDB

+ Admin Draft Update

  The working version of the Admin draft is here

   http://jlentini.users.sourceforge.net/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-admin-03.txt

  and a diff against the -02 version is here:

   http://jlentini.users.sourceforge.net/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-admin-rfcdiff.html

  * updated boilerplate for pre-RFC5378 contributions
  * updated pathname definition to match NFSv4 format
  * added NSDB Container Entry value to FSN
 
  TODO: Add recommended operations for setting NSDB Trust Anchors

---

From: "Everhart, Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:17:13 -0400

I've attempted to incorporate several updates to this draft from
comments and discussion from the
last month or two.

The new version is published (thanks, IETF) as:

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-dns-srv-namespace
-02.txt

An rfcdiff is available as:

    http://tinyurl.com/yfjhjbz 

Summary of changes:
 * Replace obfuscatory whole-concept text with other, possibly less
obfuscatory, text
 * Change Service name from _nfs4 to _nfs4._domainroot
 * Add Service name of _nfs4._write._domainroot to avoid guesswork on a
read-write version location
 * Replace exported location of the server pseudo-root with
"/.domain-root-{Name}", for common usage,
   and "/.domain-root-write-{Name}" for read-write usage, with {Name}
being the domain name being
   looked up.
 * Note the effects of draft-gudmundsson-dns-srv-iana-registry
work-in-progress
 * Typos

		Craig