Subject: [nfsv4] section 10.10 typos

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:08:08 -0500

Apologies if this is too late, or if I'm working with an outdated
version.

I needed to read about fs_locations_info and ran across minor writing
issues:

11.10.1:

First bullet point: replace "in terms of approximate seconds before the
present" with "in seconds".  (As explained in the rest of that
paragraph, this is not a time measured relative to the present.) Also,
"serve as a hint" should be "serves as a hint".

Later: "most likely by increment" should be "most likely by
incrementing".

11.10.2:

third bullet point: "which contain" should be "which contains".

Also, where in the spec are the meanings of the various classes
(FSLI4BX_CL*) defined?  (Does the "readdir class" determine the scope of
readdir cookie validity?)

--b.

---

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:37:13 -0500

I agree with your changes.  These were not fixed in PAv5.

> Also, where in the spec are the meanings of the various 
> classes (FSLI4BX_CL*) defined?  (Does the "readdir class" 
> determine the scope of readdir cookie validity?)

These are done in various subsections of 11.7.  Your specific question
is addressed in 11.7.9.

It probably would make sense to change "See Section 11.7 for details
about how this information is to be used" to "See Section 11.7 and its
various subsections for details about how this information is to be
used.", currently the second sentence of the second full paragraph on
page 266 of PAv5.

-----Original Message-----
From: J. Bruce Fields [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 11:08 PM
To: Mike Eisler
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [nfsv4] section 10.10 typos

11.10.1:

11.10.2:

--b.
_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:24:29 -0500

> These are done in various subsections of 11.7.  Your specific question

Ah, got it, thanks!

> used.", currently the second sentence of the second full paragraph on

In my case, I looked in the fs_locations_info section, searched for
FSLI4BX_CLREADDIR and for "readdir class", then gave up.  A
cross-reference would help.

(Also, odd nit: the second search failed because, at least in the
version at http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-minorversion1-29,
it's written "_readdir_ class".  I'm not sure what the underscores are
supposed to mean--throughout the whole document they're only used for
these referral class names.)

--b.

---

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:02:33 -0500

The underscores are what xmltorfc puts in the .txt version of something
you indicate you want to emphasize.  In the .html version, those classes
are emphasized, which does look better that _emphasized_.  It's really
so last-century.

-----Original Message-----
From: J. Bruce Fields [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:24 PM
To: Noveck, Dave
Cc: Mike Eisler; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] section 10.10 typos

Ah, got it, thanks!

--b.