Subject: [nfsv4] [FedFS] Meeting Minutes, 12/17/2009

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:52:26 -0500 (EST)

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 12/17/2009
---------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Sorin Faibish (EMC)
Paul LeMahieu (EMC)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Trond Myklebust (NetApp)
Chris Stacey (EMC)
Robert Thurlow (Sun)
Renu Tewari (IBM)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each week's meeting with this announcement.

+ Review Action Items

  - James Lentini will investigate if an LDAP client can automatically 
    determine the security properties of an LDAP directory.

    Complete. Some security information can be found by inspecting the 
    root DSA-specific Entry (DSE) [DSA == Directory System Agent]. 
    The root DSE contains operation attributes such as 
    supportedSASLMechanisms. See Section 5.1 of RFC 4512.

    These facilities do not appear to be useful for our purposes 
    since a fileserver would need to be securely communicating with 
    an NSDB to rely on them.

  - James Lentini draft clarification for step 5 of the example in 
    Section 3.2 of draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-reqts-06.

    Complete. See

    http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg07601.html

  - James Lentini draft recommendations for how to generate 
    a referral based on FSL information.

    Complete. See 

    http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg07620.html

  - James Lentini draft text for Admin draft with security 
    mechanisms.

    Open. Waiting for mailing list discussion to conclude.

+ Status update on the FedFS Requirements Specification

  The document is nearing publication.

  The specification has been assigned an RFC number.

  RFC Editor review is complete. AUTH48 review is complete.

  Awaiting AD review and publication of the NFSv4.1 specification 
  (the FedFS requirements specification makes a normative reference 
  to the NFSv4.1 specification and depends on its publication).

+ Connectathon 2010

  Connectathon will be held at the end of February. This is a 
  good opportunity to continue the FedFS interoperability testing 
  from the October Bake-a-thon.

  Trond asked if there would be any updates to the SourceForge 
  SNSDB Project.

  James stated that he is working on an update. The current code 
  on sourceforge.net is compatible with the -03 NSDB draft. The 
  new code will bring the SNSDB implementation in synch with the 
  -04 NSDB draft. SNSDB update. The LDAP schema was updated in 
  the -04 draft, and thus there are some C API changes. These 
  changes are fairly minimal (new structure fields added). Updating 
  implementations that depend on the library should not be a 
  major task.

+ Review NSDB Draft Changes

  We reviewed the changes posted to the mailing list yesterday. 
  The changes fall into these categories:

  1. The proposed text on generating a referral in Section 2.4.3

  2. A synchronization of the examples with the requirements 
     document (see page 12).

  3. updated text on how to identify and locate an NSDB (more on this 
     below)

  4. small text updates to synchronize with the RFC-Editor's 
     suggestions for the requirements specification (capitalization 
     changes in the glossary, etc.)

+ Holiday Meeting Schedule

  Our next meeting will be January 6, 2010.