Subject: [nfsv4] When to RECLAIM_COMPLETE?

From: "Labiaga, Ricardo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 13:40:37 -0800

Section 18.51.3 states:

   "Whenever a client establishes a new client ID and before it does the
   first non-reclaim operation that obtains a lock, it MUST send a
   RECLAIM_COMPLETE with rca_one_fs set to FALSE, even if there are no
   locks to reclaim.  If non-reclaim locking operations are done before
   the RECLAIM_COMPLETE, an NFS4ERR_GRACE error will be returned."

I interpret this as requiring the client to send a RECLAIM_COMPLETE
after every new client id.  Contrary to only sending it after new client
ids that resulted from detecting the server restarted.  Since the client
doesn't always know if the server has rebooted, send a RECLAIM_COMPLETE
after the initial EXCHANGE_ID/ CREATE_SESSION as well, and both sides
will be happy.

Is this an accurate interpretation?  The question recently came up in
the Linux list while working on the feature implementation.

Thanks,

- ricardo

---

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:47:01 -0500

That's how I read it.

I'm pretty sure that not following that path leads into difficulties for
the reasons you indicate, but even if you somehow could avoid those
difficulties, the spec is pretty direct.  It says "MUST"

-----Original Message-----
From: Labiaga, Ricardo 
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 4:41 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nfsv4] When to RECLAIM_COMPLETE?

Section 18.51.3 states:

Thanks,

- ricardo
_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "Labiaga, Ricardo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 14:52:14 -0800

Thanks Dave,

- ricardo

> From: Noveck, Dave
> Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 1:47 PM
> To: Labiaga, Ricardo; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [nfsv4] When to RECLAIM_COMPLETE?
> 
> That's how I read it.
>