Subject: [nfsv4] [FedFS] Meeting Minutes, 2/11/2010

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:44:35 -0500 (EST)

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 2/11/2010
--------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Craig Everhart (NetApp)
Sorin Faibish (EMC)
Paul LeMahieu (EMC)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Trond Myklebust (NetApp)
Chris Stacey (EMC)
Renu Tewari (IBM)
Robert Thurlow (Sun)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each week's meeting with this announcement.

+ FedFS at Connectathon

  Rob Thurlow will be delivering two talks on Wednesday, February 24th: 
   "FedFS State of the Union" at 2:00-3:00pm.
   Solaris "Referrals Implementation" at 4:00-4:30pm.

  Rob is planning to send out the FedFS presentation for review before 
  Connectathon.

  Trond reported that the Linux FedFS implementation will be at Connectathon. 
  Trond has updated it to the LDAP schema from:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-protocol-04

  and is now using the latest version of the SNSDB code.

  Rob reported that the Solaris FedFS prototype from the Fall'09 
  bake-a-thon will be at Connectathon. Pavan has been working on 
  updating to the -04 LDAP schema.

  Monday, February 22, looks like the earliest opportunity to start 
  FedFS testing.

+ USENIX FAST'10 BOF

  The BOF room changed to Atherton. There will now be A/V available
  so we can put up some slides. The BOF will be from 7:30-8:30pm on 
  Thursday, February 25.

+ NSDB Draft Review
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-protocol-05

  - Section 2.4.3 Generating A Referral from Fileset Locations
  - Section 4.2.1.2 fedfsNetAddr
  - other updates

  Craig and Rob thought 2.4.3 looked good. 

  There were no other comments on this draft.

+ Admin Draft Review
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-admin-04

  - Section 5.3 FEDFS_LOOKUP_FSN
  - Section 5.4 FEDFS_SET_NSDB_PARAMS
  - Section 5.5 FEDFS_GET_NSDB_PARAMS
  - Section 5.6 FEDFS_GET_LIMITED_NSDB_PARAMS
    See thread http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg07720.html
  - other updates

  The main discussion point on this draft was the name of the
  FEDFS_GET_LIMITED_NSDB_PARAMS procedure (see mailing list thread 
  cited above).

  Trond suggests making the name more specific given that it only 
  returns the security type. 

  James explained his rational for choosing a generic name. The idea 
  was that the procedure might return other results (the NCE?). He 
  doesn't feel strongly about the name. If no other results are 
  returned, he agreed that a more specific name would make sense.

  We discussed making the NCE an NSDB parameter. The benefit is that 
  the NCE does not need to be included in every FEDFS_JUNCTION_CREATE 
  request. If an NSDB has multiple NCEs (not currently allowed by 
  definition in NSDB draft), how would this be expressed? When would 
  this be used? Perhaps when multiple domains are hosted in the same 
  LDAP directory? Need to think through this and see if it makes sense.

  The plan is to consider moving the NCE to be an NSDB parameter. 

  If that change is made, then keep a generic name for 
  FEDFS_GET_LIMITED_NSDB_PARAMS and include the NCE is the 
  procedure results.

  If no change is made, rename FEDFS_GET_LIMITED_NSDB_PARAMS to be 
  FEDFS_GET_NSDB_SECURITY_TYPE.