Subject: [nfsv4] [FedFS] Meeting Minutes, 3/4/2010

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 15:13:44 -0500 (EST)

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 3/4/2010
-------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Daniel Ellard (BBN)
Matt Benjamin
Sorin Faibish (EMC)
Paul LeMahieu (EMC)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Trond Myklebust (EMC)
Chris Stacey (EMC)
Robert Thurlow (Sun)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each week's meeting with this announcement.

+ Feedback from Connectathon

  Trond reported on his testing of FedFS and pure referrals.
  
  There were some interesting issues discovered in these tests, 
  including: 

  If the server passed a link local IPv6 addresses to the 
  client, the client (not surprisingly) had problems. The 
  problems stemmed from not treating the address with the 
  scope defined in the IPv6 specification.

  Another interesting test was to have the server return 
  a referral that targeted the same junction (source of the 
  referral). This was called a self referring referral test.
  
  Rob and Pavan worked on updating their implementation to 
  use the new path format. By the end of the event, they 
  had this working.

  Rob described another pathological test case. A pair of 
  referrals that point to each other.

  We agreed that formalizing the test cases before the 
  next testing event would be useful. Trond suggested that 
  it would be nice to record different basic junction test 
  configurations on a public wiki.

  Rob Thurlow gave two presentation during the talks portion 
  of conference. 

  FedFS State of the Union:

  http://www.connectathon.org/talks10/fedfs-proto.pdf

  Solaris Referrals:

  http://www.connectathon.org/talks10/Solaris_Referrals2.pdf

  Sorin reported that all the v4.1 tests he ran passed.

+ Feedback from USENIX FAST'10 BOF

  Modest turn out. Several people asked for the slides. 

  The majority of the attendees were newcomers to the concept. 
  This was a good way to get the word out to a new set of people.

+ Discuss FEDFS_GET_LIMITED_NSDB_PARAMS procedure 

  We received feedback from Nico that some LDAP deployments 
  do have multiple domains within the same LDAP Directory 
  instance. This means that there are multiple naming contexts 
  in a single directory instance. 

  As a result of the above, removing the NCE string from the 
  arguments to FEDFS_CREATE_JUNCTION and adding it as an NSDB 
  parameter would require additional changes. 

  As it stands, the Admin protocol can support the multi-domain 
  configurations described above because every junction has a 
  NCE string.

  Rob stated that he does not want to store the NCE values in 
  every junction.

  Rob suggested that it would be advantageous for the software 
  tools to derive the DIT path from the domain the user was 
  interested in.

  This would require a way to generate a DIT path given a 
  domain. For example, if the domain was "example.net", then 
  the specifications might require the DIT path to be 
  "o=fedfs,dc=example,dc=net".

  James pointed out that there is no LDAP requirement for the 
  domain to be part of an LDAP directory's naming context. 
  For example, it is possible for a directory's naming context 
  to be "o=foo" rather than "dc=foo,dc=com". 
  
  We then reviewed our current arguments to FEDFS_CREATE_JUNCTION. 

  We agreed that more discussion on this topic was necessary 
  before any specific changes could be made to the drafts. 

  Our plan is to resolve this issue over the next 
  few weeks and update the drafts after the IETF'77 
  submission restriction is lifted.

+ IETF'77

  [We ran out of time to discuss this. We can discuss it next week.]

---

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 16:19:28 -0500 (EST)

> FedFS Meeting Minutes, 3/4/2010
                   ^^^

Several people pointed out the error above. The correct entry should 
be:

 Trond Myklebust (NetApp)

> Minutes
<snip>

---

From: sfaibish <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 16:26:03 -0500

Too many EMC people in the call :)

/Sorin

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 16:19:28 -0500, James Lentini <[email-masked]>  
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> nfsv4 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4
>
>

-- 
Best Regards

Sorin Faibish
Corporate Distinguished Engineer
Network Storage Group

         EMC²
where information lives

Phone: 508-435-1000 x 48545
Cellphone: 617-510-0422
Email : [email-masked]