Subject: [nfsv4] [FedFS] meeting agenda (3/18)

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:58:57 -0400 (EDT)

Tomorrow's proposed agenda is below. Please let me know if you would
like to add additional topics.

    Time: Thursdays 1:30-2:30 PM EST/10:30-11:30 AM PST
 Dial-in: 1-888-765-3653 (us)
          303-218-2659 (international)
      Id: 2354843

Proposed Agenda
---------------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each week's meeting with this announcement.

+ IETF'77

  Feedback on presentation.

+ DNS SRV Updates

  See mailing list thread:

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg07778.html

+ Admin Protocol: Junction Size

  See mailing list discussion:

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg07780.html

+ Admin Protocol: feedback from Check Lever

   - FedFsUuid XDR Type

     A FedFsUuid is defined as a variable size opaque array with a 
     maximum of 16 octets (XDR encoded this as a 4 octet length 
     followed by up to 16 octets; this requires 20 octets for an 
     RFC 4122 UUID):

       typedef opaque FedFsUuid<16>;

     since RFC 4122 UUIDs are always 16 octets, a fixed length 
     array would be a more efficient (encoded as 16 octets):

       typedef opaque FedFsUuid[16];

   - Optional LDAP error value

     Rather than make the LDAP error value optional for 
     FEDFS_ERR_NSDB_LDAP, two FEDFS_ERR values could be defined: 
     one to indicate that an LDAP error occurred and one to indicate 
     an LDAP error occurred and that the LDAP error code is available.  
     See:

     http://jlentini.users.sourceforge.net/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-admin-rfcdiff.html

   - International DNS names

     How are International DNS names encoded in a FedFsNsdbName?

     One option: handle UTF-8 strings as defined by the 
     nfs4_cs_prep and nfs4_cis_prep profiles in Chapter 14 of 
     RFC 5661. The nfs4_cs_prep profile (cs == case sensitive) 
     would be used for pathnames, and nfs4_cis_prep profile 
     (cis == case insensitive) would be used for DNS names. 
     We'll need some time to review this approach before we can 
     decide if it is right for FedFS.

   - Pathnames

     Q. If the pathname in FEDFS_JUNCTION_CREATE is not relative 
     to the NFS pseudo-root, how does the Admin client generate 
     it?

     A. As implied by the text in the second paragraph of Section 
     5.1 (page 12), pathnames in the Admin protocol are 
     implementation dependent.

     Implementation dependent pathnames are used for the 
     following reasons:

     * The Admin protocol is designed to be agnostic of any 
       particular file access protocol. The namespace managed 
       by the Admin protocol may allow access by NFS, CIFS, etc. 
       clients.

     * A unique external path may not exist since:

       - An object's path depends on the NFS protocol version 
         (e.g. the NFSv3 path is not the same as the NFSv4 path).

       - Servers might show different pseudo-fs's to different 
         clients.

    * Allows junctions to be created before their            
      containing fileset is exported.

    Discuss how to meet these requirements while 
    administering heterogeneous namespaces.