Subject: Re: [nfsv4] NFS Pathless Objects

From: "Roy, Dipankar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:54:38 +0530

Hi Tom, Dan,

Thanks a lot for your comments on the draft.

Please let me clarify the comments about the supportability of migration and replication
with pathless objects. You are absolutely correct in saying that

"An Object Set could be considered to be equivalent to a filesystem and could be
either replicated or migrated."

We will be adding the details about migration and replication semantics in the RFC
draft. Since the pathless objects namespace model is different than the regular
filesystem objects, we would have to make a few simple modifications to the existing
data structures used for migration and replication.

The "rootpath" in a fs_location4 will be replaced with an Object Set name. In case of
fs_locations4, the "fs_root" will also be replaced with an Object Set name.

The client, while accessing a pathless objects namepsace, will be aware of this change.

The fs_locations_info4 will also be supported with the same modification as fs_location4,
i.e. the pathnames will be replaced by Object Set names.

Thanks
Dipankar