Subject: [nfsv4] [FedFS] Meeting Minutes, 8/5/2010

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 17:30:33 -0400 (EDT)

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 8/5/2010
-------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Andy Adamson (NetApp)
Lawrence Anthony (Post Group)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Trond Myklebust (NetApp)
Peter Staubach (EMC)
Spencer Shepler (Microsoft)
Robert Thurlow (Oracle)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the 
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each week's meeting with this announcement.

+ Procedure for Flushing the Fileserver's FSN-to-FSL cache

  We postponed discussion on this since some of the stakeholders 
  are on vacation.

+ NSDB Draft Roadmap

  We reviewed this list of open items:

  1. Fix fedfsNcePrefix definition as discussed on the mailing list
  2. Recommendations for LDAP referrals and search continuations
  3. Cite rfc3530bis i18n text for LDAP attributes that map to 
     fields in an NFSv4 referral

  Spencer reiterated the comment he made at the July WG meeting: 
  We should ask for WG last call when these documents are ready 
  and not wait until October.

  For #1, we have the fix. Now that the IETF submission window 
  is open, we will push that out in an update next week. If 
  possible, the update will include additional revisions for 
  #2 and #3.

  For #2, the consensus was that we should not reinvent the wheel. 
  LDAP referrals and search continuations are standard parts of 
  the LDAP protocol. If possible, we should cite an existing 
  best practices document. There are two contexts in which 
  an NSDB is accessed: (A) a fileserver and (B) an 
  administrative client. Our recommendations need to address 
  both contexts.

  For #3, the proposal is to require that the format of
  a FedFS LDAP attribute that maps directly to a string 
  field in an NFSv4 referral to follow the same rules as 
  the NFSv4 type with regards to internationalization 
  (e.g. a fedfsFslHost value should follow the same 
  rules as an fs_location4's server entry). 

+ Admin Draft Roadmap

  We reviewed this list of open items:

  1. Cite rfc3530bis i18n text
  2. Clarifications/additional fields for the FedFsNfsFsl structure
  3. Procedure for Listing NSDB Parameters Database (?)
  4. Procedure for Flushing the Fileserver's FSN-to-FSL cache (?)

 Trond asked about the replication support. There were two issues: 
 (A) is it possible for an administrator to indicate that a 
 filesystem is mirrored on multiple servers? and (B) is it 
 possible to atomically change a filesystem node from returning 
 replication information to returning NFS4ERR_MOVED + migration 
 information? James believed the answer to both questions is yes.
 For (A), the admin-05 draft contains the FEDFS_CREATE_REPLICATION, 
 FEDFS_DELETE_REPLICATION, and FEDFS_LOOKUP_REPLICATION procedures 
 that Rob Thurlow created. For (B), the text states that JUNCTION 
 information takes precedence over REPLICATION information 
 (see page 18 of admin-05), so the cut-over will be atomic. Trond 
 will review these additions to the admin-05 version and determine 
 if they cover the use cases he has in mind.

 James suggested that the NSDB draft would likely be ready for 
 WG last call before the Admin draft. He asked if it would be 
 reasonable to hold WG last call on the NSDB draft and then 
 move to the Admin draft when it was ready. Spencer indicated 
 that this would be a possibility. Regardless of the WG last 
 call schedule, both drafts would be shepherded to the IESG 
 together as a set.

+ Meeting Schedule

  Our next meeting will be on August 19.

  On the agenda for a future meeting is to discuss 
  Andy Adamson's multi-domain-access draft.