Subject: [nfsv4] [Fedfs] Revised fefsUuid description

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:29:31 -0400 (EDT)

Based on feedback received during our FedFS conference call during the 
last call on draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-protocol-09, I propose 
revising the description of a fedfsUuid attribute as show below.

This revision makes two changes. 

(1) Removes a sentence about "debugging" strings since such strings 
are not supported by the ONC RCP Administration protocol.

(2) Adds a reference to an implementation of the UUID generation 
algorithm.

--------------------

4.2.1.1.  fedfsUuid

   A fedfsUuid is the base type for all of the universally unique
   identifiers (UUIDs) used by the federated filesystem protocols.

   To minimize the probability of two UUIDs colliding, a consistent
   procedure for generating UUIDs SHOULD be used throughout a
   federation.  Within a federation, UUIDs SHOULD be generated using the
   procedure described for version 1 of the UUID variant specified in
   [RFC4122].  This is a time-based UUID variant provided by many UUID
   programming libraries (e.g., the OSF DCE uuid_generate_time(1) API).

   The UUID's text representation (as defined in [RFC4122]) SHOULD be
   encoded as a UTF-8 string.

   A fedfsUuid is a single-valued LDAP attribute.

   <CODE BEGINS>

           ///
           /// attributetype (
           ///     1.3.6.1.4.1.31103.1.1 NAME 'fedfsUuid'
           ///     DESC 'A UUID used by NSDB'
           ///     SUP name
           ///     SINGLE-VALUE
           ///     )
           ///

   <CODE ENDS>

--------------------

Thoughts?

-james