Subject: [nfsv4] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-lentini-nfsv4-server-side-copy-06

From: James Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:54:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, IETF I-D Submission Tool wrote:

> 
> A new version of I-D, draft-lentini-nfsv4-server-side-copy-06.txt has been successfully submitted by James Lentini and posted to the IETF repository.
> 
> Filename:	 draft-lentini-nfsv4-server-side-copy
> Revision:	 06
> Title:		 NFS Server-side Copy
> Creation_date:	 2010-10-21
> WG ID:		 Independent Submission
> Number_of_pages: 37
> 
> Abstract:
> This document describes a set of NFS operations for offloading a file
> copy to a file server or between two file servers.
>                                                                                   
> 
> 
> The IETF Secretariat.

An updated version of the server-side copy proposal is now 
available. The changes from the previous version are:

 - Clarify copying metadata. The previous -05 draft said that all the
   REQUIRED and RECOMMENDED attributes of the source file are copied
   to the destination file if the metadata flag is set. However, many
   of these attributes shouldn't be blindly copied from the source
   file to the destination file.

   The new version clarifies which attributes MUST or SHOULD be copied 
   to the destination file.

   The new version also states that the metadata flag is only 
   applicable to whole file copies.

 - Removed COPY4_SPACE_RESERVED flag and cited
   draft-iyer-nfsv4-space-reservation-ops draft.

 - Noted that the client can use standard NFSv4 operations to guard
   against concurrent modifications to the source file.

 - Clarified that a successful copy must result in identical data 
   in the NFS client's view of the source and destination file, but 
   the on disk representation may be different due to backend
   encryption/compression/deduplication/etc.