Subject: [nfsv4] 3530bis Issue 39: Clarification on renewing sequence IDs

From: Robert Thurlow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 14:19:11 -0600

Hi folks,

This is issue 39 from http://github.com/loghyr/3530bis/blob/master/tasklist.txt.

In implementing NFSv4 migration support, we believe that
MOVED and LEASE_MOVED need to be added to the list of errors
in 8.1.5 which do NOT result in incrementing the open owner
or lock owner sequence ID.  The goal is to make the sequence
ID readily calculable for both the client and the destination
server after the migration has occurred.

On the 3530bis call, this appeared exactly backwards to some
others - that since a completely gross error had not occurred,
we should increment the sequence ID and the client and the
destination server should know to expect that when they interact
after a migration.  I do not know this issue well enough to
properly defend a position, so please reply with your reasoned
opinion :-)

Thanks,
Rob T