Subject: [nfsv4] Fwd: Fw: New Version Notification for draft-hildebrand-nfsv4-read-sparse-02

From: Dean <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 10:14:12 -0800

I have uploaded a new version of our sparse file proposal for NFSv4.2, 
"Simple and Efficient Read Support for Sparse Files".

Link:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-hildebrand-nfsv4-read-sparse-02.txt

Please have a look and give us any feedback.

This draft tries to take into account all the of the valuable feedback 
from the previous version.  Based on these comments, the biggest change 
is that the draft now proposes a READPLUS command instead of trying to 
alter the return value of the existing READ command.  This is necessary 
due to NFSv4.1 minor versioning rules.

Other changes,
a) Now return byte range of surrounding hole, which is useful for 
forward and backward sequential read.  I updated the example as well to 
reflect this change.
b) Expanded section discussing pNFS and sparse reads.  The goal is to 
allow pNFS data servers to at least return local state regarding a hole, 
but if they do have efficient access to global state, then they can 
return that instead.
c) The return value of READPLUS is extensible within minor versioning rules.

Several suggestions were offered regarding other additions to the 
proposed READPLUS command.  While all valuable, I did not include them 
in our draft.  For those features that people feel strongly about, I 
would propose for them to submit additional personal drafts that build 
upon the READPLUS template.  Then, all of these drafts can be merged 
into the final NFSv4.2 specification.

Dean
-----
A new version of I-D, draft-hildebrand-nfsv4-read-sparse-02.txt has been 
successfully submitted by Dean Hildebrand and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename: draft-hildebrand-nfsv4-read-sparse
Revision: 02
Title: Simple and Efficient Read Support for Sparse Files
Creation_date: 2010-12-06
WG ID: Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 14

Abstract:
This document proposes a new READPLUS operation for NFSv4.2 to
support efficient reading of sparse files, which are growing in the
data center due to the increasing number of virtual disk images.
READPLUS has all the features and functionality of READ, but has an
extensible return value that includes an easy and efficient way for
administrators to copy and manage sparse files without wasting disk
space or transferring data unnecessarily.

The IETF Secretariat.