Subject: [nfsv4] FedFS: Question regarding fedfsNfsMajorVer and fedfsNfsMinorVer

From: Chuck Lever <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 14:09:00 -0400

Hi-

Building a bit on the FedFS + NFS fs_locations thread from last week...

How is the content of the fedfsNfsMajorVer and fedfsNfsMinorVer attributes communicated to NFS clients?  There is no field in fs_locations_info4 that corresponds to these attributes.

I've glanced through the NSDB protocol draft, but don't see any explanation for how this data, stored in required attributes, is made available to clients.

-- 
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

---

From: Daniel Ellard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 15:55:49 -0400

The original thought was that this was info that only the client would
care about; the client would look through the fsls returned until it
found an fsl that had a version of NFS that the client supported (or
preferred).

You raise an interesting point, however; if the server exports the fs
via more than one protocol, the client has no way to specify which one
they want.  Do we want there to be such a mechanism, or is it enough
that the server knows that the client wouldn't have selected the fsl
for a server that exported the fs using a protocol that the client
couldn't handle?

-Dan

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Chuck Lever <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> nfsv4 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4
>