Subject: [nfsv4] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5661 (3066)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 12:12:35 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5661,
"Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5661&eid=3066

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: David Black <[email-masked]>

Section: 12.7.4

Original Text
-------------
   o  The client does not have a copy of the data in its memory and the
      metadata server is no longer in its grace period; i.e., the
      metadata server returns NFS4ERR_NO_GRACE.  As with the scenario in
      the above bullet point, the failure of LAYOUTCOMMIT means the data
      in the range <loca_offset, loca_length> lost.  The defense against
      the risk is the same -- cache all written data on the client until
      a successful LAYOUTCOMMIT.

Corrected Text
--------------
   o  The client does not have a copy of the data in its memory and the
      metadata server is no longer in its grace period; i.e., the
      metadata server returns NFS4ERR_NO_GRACE.  As with the scenario in
      the above bullet point, the failure of LAYOUTCOMMIT means the data
      in the scope of that LAYOUTCOMMIT may have been lost.  The defense
      against the risk is the same -- cache all written data on the client
      until a successful LAYOUTCOMMIT.

Notes
-----
Errata 3 of 5 to deprecate loca_offset and loca_length arguments to LAYOUTCOMMIT.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5661 (draft-ietf-nfsv4-minorversion1-29)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol
Publication Date    : January 2010
Author(s)           : S. Shepler, Ed., M. Eisler, Ed., D. Noveck, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Network File System Version 4
Area                : Transport
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG