Subject: [nfsv4] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5661 (3067)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 12:14:18 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5661,
"Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5661&eid=3067

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: David Black <[email-masked]>

Section: 18.42.3

Original Text
-------------
   The LAYOUTCOMMIT operation commits changes in the layout represented
   by the current filehandle, client ID (derived from the session ID in
   the preceding SEQUENCE operation), byte-range, and stateid.  Since
   layouts are sub-dividable, a smaller portion of a layout, retrieved
   via LAYOUTGET, can be committed.  The byte-range being committed is
   specified through the byte-range (loca_offset and loca_length).  This
   byte-range MUST overlap with one or more existing layouts previously
   granted via LAYOUTGET (Section 18.43), each with an iomode of
   LAYOUTIOMODE4_RW.  In the case where the iomode of any held layout
   segment is not LAYOUTIOMODE4_RW, the server should return the error
   NFS4ERR_BAD_IOMODE.  For the case where the client does not hold
   matching layout segment(s) for the defined byte-range, the server
   should return the error NFS4ERR_BAD_LAYOUT.

Corrected Text
--------------
   The LAYOUTCOMMIT operation commits changes in the layout represented
   by the current filehandle, client ID (derived from the session ID in
   the preceding SEQUENCE operation), and stateid.  As a layout-independent
   operation, LAYOUTCOMMIT commits the entire layout; layout type-specific
   data (loca_layoutupdate) may specify a smaller scope of data that is to
   be committed (e.g., for the block layout, see RFC 5663 [41]).

   The loca_offset and loca_length arguments have been deprecated.  The
   client SHOULD set both loca_offset and loca_length to 0.
   The server MUST ignore the loca_offset and loca_length arguments.
   The client MUST hold one or more existing layouts
   previously granted via LAYOUTGET (Section 18.43), with an iomode of
   LAYOUTIOMODE4_RW.  If layout type-specific data (loca_layoutupdate)
   restricts the scope of the LAYOUTCOMMIT to less than the entire layout,
   the client MUST hold one or more existing layouts with an iomode
   of LAYOUTIOMODE4_RW fully covering the committed byte ranges.
   In the case where no previously granted layout
   has an iomode of LAYOUTIOMODE4_RW, the server should return the error
   NFS4ERR_BAD_IOMODE.  For the case where the client does not hold
   any previously granted layout, the server should return the error
   NFS4ERR_BAD_LAYOUT.

Notes
-----
Errata 4 of 5 to deprecate loca_offset and loca_length arguments to LAYOUTCOMMIT.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5661 (draft-ietf-nfsv4-minorversion1-29)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol
Publication Date    : January 2010
Author(s)           : S. Shepler, Ed., M. Eisler, Ed., D. Noveck, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Network File System Version 4
Area                : Transport
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG