Subject: [nfsv4] RFC 6688 on Parallel NFS (pNFS) Block Disk Protection

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:15:12 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6688

        Title:      Parallel NFS (pNFS) Block Disk 
                    Protection 
        Author:     D. Black, Ed.,
                    J. Glasgow, S. Faibish
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 12119
        Updates:    RFC5663

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-nfsv4-pnfs-block-disk-protection-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6688.txt

Parallel NFS (pNFS) extends the Network File System version 4 (NFSv4) to
enable direct client access to file data on storage devices and bypass the
NFSv4 server.  This can increase both performance and parallelism,
but it requires additional client functionality, some of which depends
upon the type of storage used.  The pNFS specification for block
storage (RFC 5663) describes how clients can identify the volumes
used for pNFS, but this mechanism requires communication with the
NFSv4 server.  This document updates RFC 5663 to add a mechanism that
enables identification of block storage devices used by pNFS file
systems without communicating with the server.  This enables clients
to control access to pNFS block devices when the client initially
boots, as opposed to waiting until the client can communicate with
the NFSv4 server.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Network File System Version 4 Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC