Subject: [nfsv4] Removal of section 13.8.6

From: "Haynes, Tom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 17:41:30 +0000

My proposal is to remove this section from the draft. If we keep it, then we are not compatible with posix_fadvise().

13.8.6.  Number of Supported File Segments

   In theory IO_ADVISE allows a client and server to support multiple
   file segments, meaning that different, possibly overlapping, byte
   ranges of the same open file reference will support different hints.
   This is not practical, and in general the server will support just
   one set of hints, and these will apply to the entire file.  However,
   there are some hints that very ephemeral, and are essentially amount
   to one time instructions to the NFS server, which will be forgotten
   momentarily after IO_ADVISE is executed.

   The following hints will always apply to the entire file, regardless
   of the specified byte range:

   o  IO_ADVISE4_NORMAL

   o  IO_ADVISE4_SEQUENTIAL

   o  IO_ADVISE4_SEQUENTIAL_BACKWARDS

   o  IO_ADVISE4_RANDOM

   The following hints will always apply to the specified byte range,
   and will be treated as one time instructions:

   o  IO_ADVISE4_WILLNEED

   o  IO_ADVISE4_WILLNEED_OPPORTUNISTIC

   o  IO_ADVISE4_DONTNEED

   o  IO_ADVISE4_NOREUSE

   The following hints are modifiers to all other hints, and will apply
   to the entire file and/or to a one time instruction on the specified
   byte range:

   o  IO_ADVISE4_READ

   o  IO_ADVISE4_WRITE

---

From: Chenqin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 08:22:51 +0000

Hi, Haynes

I'm learning the nfsv4.2drafts,so I want to participate in the weekly phone meeting .
Now i'm looking for the info about weekly phone meeting on Thursdays, but I just find the phone access .
Is there web sharing info (like )that I didn't see? If I dial in the meeting tomorrow, how could I know where you are discussing?
Thank you 

Jane      

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Haynes, Tom
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:42 AM
To: nfsv4
Subject: [nfsv4] Removal of section 13.8.6

   o  IO_ADVISE4_NORMAL

   o  IO_ADVISE4_SEQUENTIAL

   o  IO_ADVISE4_RANDOM

   o  IO_ADVISE4_WILLNEED

   o  IO_ADVISE4_DONTNEED

   o  IO_ADVISE4_NOREUSE

   o  IO_ADVISE4_READ

   o  IO_ADVISE4_WRITE

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "Haynes, Tom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 16:03:16 +0000

Hi Jane,

I'll be sending an agenda out later today, but the WG archives has all of the past agendas and meeting notices.

You can follow the URL below to get to the archives or just go to :

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/maillist.html

Thanks,
Tom

---

From: Chenqin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 04:19:34 +0000

Hi Tom

Thank you for your reply, it's helpful!
Let me make sure, when I dial in the phone meeting tonight, I will just open the draft on my own computer, don't need to access web meeting to see your online screen share ,am I right? 
Thank you

Jane

-----Original Message-----
From: Haynes, Tom [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:03 AM
To: Chenqin
Cc: Haynes, Tom; nfsv4
Subject: Re: Removal of section 13.8.6

Hi Jane,

Thanks,
Tom

---

From: "Haynes, Tom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 15:39:09 +0000

Hi Jane,

Correct, there is no online meeting tool.

Tom