Subject: [nfsv4] Is there a difference in zero stateid.seqid interpretation between NFSv4.0 and NFSv4.1?

From: Saul Tamari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 14:06:28 -0400

Hi,

The NFSv4.1 RFC specifies that a zero stateid.seqid passed by a
client, tells the server to use the latest version of the given
stateid.other.
Does NFSv4.0 also mean that or a zero stateid.seqid has any other
meaning. I can't understand it from RFC3530.
Below (what I think) are the relevant quotes.

RFC 5661
8.2.2.
...
It may set the seqid to zero to indicate to the server that it
wishes the most up-to-date seqid for that stateid's "other" field to
be used.

RFC 3530 bis26
9.1.3.4.
...
o  If the "seqid" field is not zero, and it is greater than the
   current sequence value corresponding the current "other" field,
   return NFS4ERR_BAD_STATEID.

o  If the "seqid" field is less than the current sequence value
   corresponding the current "other" field, return
   NFS4ERR_OLD_STATEID.

Thanks,
Saul