Subject: [nfsv4] LAYOUT validity on BAD_STATEID

From: "Mkrtchyan, Tigran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 17:30:48 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

as we run into this situation I would like to ask for an opinion.

If a server sets return_on_close flag for a layout, should this
layout still be valid, if, for a some reason, DS or MDS has
reply BAD_STATEID to the client to the open state id used for
LAYOUTGET?

Thanks in advance,
   Tigran.

---

From: Andy Adamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 13:39:12 -0400

Here is my take:

The layout stateid is constructed from the first open stateid when
pNFS I/O is tried on that file. Once the layout return is successful,
the layout stateid is independent from the open stateid used to
construct it.
So if that open, or another open stateid goes bad, the layout stateid
is still valid.

WRT return-on-close, the invalid openstateid means there is no CLOSE
until after the OPEN stateid is recovered (CLAIM_PREVIOUS) and the
CLOSE call has a valid stateid. No CLOSE on an invalid stateid means
no return-on-close for the invalid stateid which means the layout is
still valid until the CLOSE using the recovered open stateid.

-->Andy

Tigran.

----- Original Message -----

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Mkrtchyan, Tigran
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> nfsv4 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4