Subject: [nfsv4] Fwd: lua extention for wireshak to trace nfs server latencies

From: "Mkrtchyan, Tigran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 08:40:39 +0100 (CET)

Forwarding to IETF list to reach non linux implementors as well.

----- Forwarded Message -----

Dear NFS fellows,

recently I was debugging some NFS related issues and
needed a tool to trace situations when NFS server is slow.

I created a lua extension for tshark which allows to get
such information, but still has the full power of tshark.

example usage:

# for life capture
$ tshark -q -X lua_script:nfs.lua -f "port 2049"

# for a capture file
$ tshark -q -r nfs.dump -X lua_script:nfs.lua

the output looks like:

       timestamp                        client ip                 server ip             time  OP

"Aug 27, 2014 16:44:43.000 CEST" aaaa:bbbb:ccc:10a0::1:7f <=> aaaa:bbbb:ccc:10bf::1:8c 0.001 v4_EXCHANGE_ID
"Aug 27, 2014 16:44:43.000 CEST" aaaa:bbbb:ccc:10a0::1:7f <=> aaaa:bbbb:ccc:10bf::1:8c 0.001 v4_CREATE_SESSION
"Aug 27, 2014 16:44:43.000 CEST" aaaa:bbbb:ccc:10a0::1:7f <=> aaaa:bbbb:ccc:10bf::1:8c 0.001 v4_PUTROOTFH
"Aug 27, 2014 16:44:43.000 CEST" aaaa:bbbb:ccc:10a0::1:7f <=> aaaa:bbbb:ccc:10bf::1:8c 0.002 v4_RECLAIM_COMPLETE
"Aug 27, 2014 16:44:43.000 CEST" aaaa:bbbb:ccc:10a0::1:7f <=> aaaa:bbbb:ccc:10bf::1:8c 0.001 v4_PUTROOTFH
"Aug 27, 2014 16:44:43.000 CEST" aaaa:bbbb:ccc:10a0::1:7f <=> aaaa:bbbb:ccc:10bf::1:8c 0.001 v4_DESTROY_SESSION
"Aug 27, 2014 16:44:43.000 CEST" a.b.161.127 <=> a.b.191.140 0.001 v4_EXCHANGE_ID
"Aug 27, 2014 16:44:43.000 CEST" a.b.161.127 <=> a.b.191.140 0.001 v4_CREATE_SESSION
"Aug 27, 2014 16:44:43.000 CEST" a.b.161.127 <=> a.b.191.140 0.003 v4_PUTROOTFH
"Aug 27, 2014 16:44:43.000 CEST" a.b.161.127 <=> a.b.191.140 0.002 v4_RECLAIM_COMPLETE
"Aug 27, 2014 16:44:43.000 CEST" a.b.161.127 <=> a.b.191.140 0.004 v4_PUTROOTFH

May be some one need's it as well:  https://github.com/kofemann/wireshark_lua

P.S.: is it the right place for such posts or there yet another mailing list or wiki?

Thanks,
   Tigran.