Subject: [nfsv4] Last Call: <draft-ietf-nfsv4-lfs-registry-02.txt> (Registry Specification for Mandatory Access Control (MAC) Security Label Formats) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 07:32:04 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Network File System Version 4 WG
(nfsv4) to consider the following document:
- 'Registry Specification for Mandatory Access Control (MAC) Security
   Label Formats'
  <draft-ietf-nfsv4-lfs-registry-02.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-02-16. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   In the past Mandatory Access Control (MAC) systems have used very
   rigid policies which were implemented in particular protocols and
   platforms.  As MAC systems became more widely deployed, additional
   flexibility in mechanism and policy will be required.  While
   traditional trusted systems implemented Multi-Level Security (MLS)
   and integrity models, modern systems have expanded to include
   technologies such as type enforcement.  Due to the wide range of
   policies and mechanisms which need to be accommodated, it is unlikely
   that use of a single security label format and model will be viable.

   To allow multiple MAC mechanisms and label formats to co-exist in a
   network, this document proposes a registry of label format
   specifications.  This registry would contain label format identifiers
   and would provide for the association of each such identifier with a
   corresponding extensive document document outlining the exact syntax
   and use of the particular label format.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-lfs-registry/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-lfs-registry/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.