Subject: [nfsv4] NFSv4.2 draft inter server copy correction

From: "Adamson, Andy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 19:50:13 +0000

Hi Tom

in 4.10.1.2.  Inter-Server Copy via ONC RPC without RPCSEC_GSS:

   The client will then send these URLs to the destination server in the
   COPY operation.  Suppose that the 192.0.2.0/24 network is a high
   speed network and the destination server decides to transfer the file
   over this network.  If the destination contacts the source server
   from 192.0.2.56 over this network using NFSv4.1, it does the
   following:

   COMPOUND  { PUTROOTFH, LOOKUP "_COPY" ; LOOKUP
      "FvhH1OKbu8VrxvV1erdjvR7N" ; LOOKUP "203.0.113.56"; LOOKUP "_FH" ;
      OPEN "0x12345" ; GETFH }
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don’t think we want to do an OPEN  from the destination server, because we already have an open stateid, and doing an OPEN from the destination server will conflict with:

4.4.1.  Locking the Files

   Both the source and destination file may need to be locked to protect
   the content during the copy operations.  A client can achieve this by
   a combination of OPEN and LOCK operations.  I.e., either share or
   byte range locks might be desired.

I also think the GETFH is not needed, as the COPY compound has the SAVE_FH which provides the FH of the file to READ.

—>Andy

---

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 05:56:49 -0500

> I don’t think we want to do an OPEN  from the destination server, because
we already have an open stateid, and doing an OPEN from the destination
> server will conflict with: [4.4.1]

True but the way 4.4.1 is written, it is not clear that where will always
be an OPEN e.g. "may need", "can achieve", "might be desired".

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Adamson, Andy <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> I don’t think we want to do an OPEN  from the destination server, because
> we already have an open stateid, and doing an OPEN from the destination
> server will conflict with:
>
> 4.4.1.  Locking the Files
>
>
> I also think the GETFH is not needed, as the COPY compound has the SAVE_FH
> which provides the FH of the file to READ.
>
> —>Andy
> _______________________________________________
> nfsv4 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4
>