Subject: [nfsv4] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nfsv4-scsi-layout-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 04:51:52 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Network File System Version 4 Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Parallel NFS (pNFS) SCSI Layout
        Author          : Christoph Hellwig
	Filename        : draft-ietf-nfsv4-scsi-layout-03.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2015-11-03

Abstract:
   The Parallel Network File System (pNFS) allows a separation between
   the metadata (onto a metadata server) and data (onto a storage
   device) for a file.  The SCSI Layout Type is defined in this document
   as an extension to pNFS to allow the use SCSI based block storage
   devices.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-scsi-layout/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-scsi-layout-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-nfsv4-scsi-layout-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 14:00:17 +0100

This should incorporate all the feedback from David and David.  I've
also given up to push more requirements into generic documents for now
so that we can make progress on this document.

I'd also like to add a new WG last call for this document soon.

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 04:51:52AM -0800, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> nfsv4 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4
---end quoted text---

---

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 10:24:21 -0500

Regarding the last paragraph of section 1, I think you are going to have
problems with the term "updates [RFC5663]" since your document, quite
appropriately, is not marked as updating rfc5663. I suggest the following
revision:

This document is based on [RFC5663] and makes changes to the block
layout type to provide a better pNFS layout type for SCSI-based
storage devices.  Despite these changes, [RFC5663] remains the
defining document for the existing block layout type.  [RFC6688] is
unnecessary in the context of the SCSI layout type because the new
layout type provides mandatory disk access protection as part of the
layout type definition.  Unlike [RFC5663], this document can make use
of SCSI protocol features and thus can provide reliable fencing by
using SCSI Persistent Reservations, and it can provide reliable and
efficient device discovery by using SCSI device identifiers instead of
having to rely on probing all devices potentially attached to a client
for a signature.  This new layout type also optimizes the I/O path by
reducing the size of the LAYOUTCOMMIT payload.

---

From: Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 09:07:20 +0100

> appropriately, is not marked as updating rfc5663. I suggest the following

I've pushed a quick -4 with just that change.