Subject: [nfsv4] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5667bis-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 07:32:46 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network File System Version 4 of the IETF.

        Title           : Network File System (NFS) Upper Layer Binding To RPC-Over-RDMA Version One
        Author          : Charles Lever
	Filename        : draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5667bis-09.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2017-04-12

Abstract:
   This document specifies Upper Layer Bindings of Network File System
   (NFS) protocol versions to RPC-over-RDMA Version One, enabling the
   use of Direct Data Placement.  This document obsoletes RFC 5667.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5667bis/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5667bis-09
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5667bis-09

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5667bis-09

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Chuck Lever <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 10:39:36 -0400

Hi Spencer-

> Begin forwarded message:
> 
> From: [email-masked]
> Subject: [nfsv4] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5667bis-09.txt
> Date: April 12, 2017 at 10:32:46 AM EDT
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> 

Revision 09 of rfc5667bis has addressed the remaining open issue raised
on March 27, 2017:

> 2. The original RFC 5667 permits implementations to use multiple Read and
> Write chunks.
> 
> Because it hasn't had NFS/RDMA with Kerberos support until recently, one
> implementation currently does not support certain configurations of chunks:
> - Write + Reply
> - PZRC + normal Read
> - multiple normal Read
> 
> However, one implementation does support all of these. Therefore, IMO that
> resolves the issue of whether rfc5667bis documents current implementation
> practice by allowing multiple chunks per RPC: it does.
> 
> The question remains how implementations might discover what is supported
> by their peers (and perhaps, what is the peer's limit on number of chunks
> per RPC).
> 
> Server implementations should report ERR_CHUNK (or perhaps GARBAGE_ARGS)
> whenever a client has sent more chunks than is supported, or a configuration
> of chunks that is unsupported. Implementation guidance should be added to
> rfc5667bis to discuss this scenario.

Section 5.4.1 now requires a server to reject RPCs that contain more
chunks than it can process.

I'd like to request Working Group Last Call for this document.

--
Chuck Lever