Subject: [nfsv4] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-msns-update-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 05:47:27 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network File System Version 4 WG of the IETF.

        Title           : NFS Version 4.1 Update for Multi-Server Namespace
        Authors         : David Noveck
                          Charles Lever
	Filename        : draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-msns-update-03.txt
	Pages           : 103
	Date            : 2018-11-13

Abstract:
   This document presents necessary clarifications and corrections
   concerning features related to the use of attributes in NFSv4.1
   related to file system location.  These features include migration,
   which transfers responsibility for a file system from one server to
   another, and facilities to support trunking by allowing discovery of
   the set of network addresses to use to access a file system.  This
   document updates RFC5661.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-msns-update/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-msns-update-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-msns-update-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-msns-update-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 09:20:27 -0500

Given that the three weeks that were made available for comments on the -02
have gone by, it is now time to submit -03 and to move to WGLC on this
document.  Although I can't be sure there was time for every potential
comment to be aired, I believe any remaining issues can be addressed within
WGLC.

Even though there were no working group comments on the list, there were
some changes to -02 made in -03. These were done primarily to keep this
documenent in sync with draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv0-trunking-update-02, with
regard to terminology and format.   Most of the changes mirror the changes
Chuck made to the mv0 document in moving from -01  to -02.  These were
prompted by Spencer D's comments, which applied to the mv1 document as
well.  Specfically,

   - I converted most references to "location" to use the phrase  "file
   system location", including those in the phrases "location attributes",
   "location elements", and "location entries".
   - Changes the titles of updated and added sections to use the style
   Chuck adopted in -02 of the mv0 document.
   - Used the string "[RFC6661]" wherever "RFC5661" had appeared in a
   section title, agaiin matchng Chuck's approach.
   - Revised Section 13.4 to include informatiion about the text in RFC5661
   that is to be superseded, in line with Spencer D's suggestion about
   replacement text in general.

I also added a paragraph to sectiion 9.1 clarifying how transfer of data
server function are dealt with in the context of file system migration.

I think most people, will find rfcdiff a resonable way to review these
changes if they are Ok with the -02.  Although there are hundreds of lines
of diffs, most of them are fairly easily checked things like converting
location to  file sytem location and changing title formats.

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 8:47 AM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> nfsv4 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4
>

---

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 11:06:47 -0500

Just in case the message below was somhow missed or misdirected, I wanted
to remind you of my request to begin WGLC on
draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-msns-update-03.   This document provides the NFSv4.1
work corresponding to the v4.0 documents RFC7931 (published as a Proposed
Standard 7/2016) and draft-ietf-nfsv4-v0-trunking-update (submitted for
publication as a proposed standard; now in IETF last call).

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-msns-update-03.txt
To: NFSv4 <[email-masked]>, spencer shepler <[email-masked]>,
Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>