Subject: [nfsv4] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv0-trunking-update-02

From: Shwetha Bhandari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 16:10:43 -0800

Reviewer: Shwetha Bhandari
Review result: Ready

I have reviewed this document as part of the Operational directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
comments were written with the intent of improving the operational aspects of
the IETF drafts. Comments that are not addressed in last call may be included
in AD reviews during the IESG review.  Document editors and WG chairs should
treat these comments just like any other last call comments.

Summary:
This document is an update to NFSv4.0 RFC 7530 to address migration issues with
NFSv4.0 listed in draft-ietf-nfsv4-migration-issues. Specifically this document
describes procedure for NFSv4.0 client to : 1. Do "trunking discovery" i.e a
means of determining a set of alternate IP addresses that might be used to
access the same server as an existing IP address. This is done using  the file
system location-related attribute in NFS version 4.0 : fs_locations. 2. Handle
the presence of multiple network addresses associated to the same server when
recovering from a replication and migration event. 3. Handle changes in the
contents of returned fs_locations attributes

In terms of network impact with the proposed trunking discovery NFSv4.0 client
can send additional DNS queries to discover multiple addresses associated with
the same server and attempt multiple connections with various connection types
supported by NFSv4.0 protocol until the one preferred by the client is
successfully established. The proposed update to NFSv4.0 RFC7530 does not have
any significant operational impact on the network.