Subject: [nfsv4] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-msns-update-04

From: Datatracker on behalf of Éric Vyncke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2019 04:30:56 -0800

Reviewer: Éric Vyncke
Review result: Has Issues

Reviewer: Eric Vyncke
Review Status: has issues

I have reviewed this document as part of the Operational directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG. These comments
were written with the intent of improving the operational aspects of the IETF
drafts. Comments that are not addressed in last call may be included in AD
reviews during the IESG review. Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

Issues spotted: lack of readability, interoperation with existing
implementations.

This standard track 106-page document updates 600-page (!) RFC 5661 (NFSv4.1
which is already standard track) by adding clarifications and corrections
concerning features related to the use of attributes related to file system
location especially when a server is trunked (i.e. has multiple IP addresses).

The document is not easy to read as it updates sections of RFC 5661. There are
also 11-line sentences such as in section 1. While I can understand that having
a RFC 5661-bis is a too heavy task, the current approach renders the document
not very readable... A companion document (not targeted as RFC ?) applying all
the changes in this document to RFC 5661 is mostly required for a good review.
At least sections 3.1 and 3.2 provide background.

Clear specifications are always a plus for operations. Also, non ambiguous file
system location will also help operations.

OTOH, the difficulty to understand this I-D without being a NFS expert makes it
difficult to judge whether a NEW minor version (cfr RFC 8178) would be required
to guarantee interoperation.

As a nit, please use RFC 8174.

Hope this helps

-éric