Subject: [nfsv4] Protocol Action: 'Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2020 07:05:27 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network File System Version 4 Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns/

Technical Summary

   This document is an update to NFS version 4.1 that presents 
   necessary clarifications and corrections concerning features related 
   to the use of attributes in NFSv4.1 related to file system location.
   These features include migration, which transfers responsibility for 
   a file system from one server to another, and facilities to support 
   trunking by allowing discovery of the set of network addresses to 
   use to access a file system.  This document replaces RFC5661, the 
   current version of NFS 4.1. This document is focused update to 
   addresses the above specific issues. It is not a full update that
   addresses all known issues with NFS 4.1. 

Working Group Summary

   The working group was well aligned on the work that is the core of 
   the update and it moved through the review process with good input '
   but nothing contentious. The format of the original update 
   (draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-msns-update-04) was rejected by IESG. The 
   issues raised by the IESG resulted in this updated full document
   that doesn't address all known issues to avoid the additional 
   delay resolving those issues would result in. 

Document Quality

   This document was a result of implementation and deployment
   experience and represents input from the NFSv4 community with long
   standing experience.  The authors represent the quality work of the
   working group and are trusted in the community with their
   experience and ability to draft quality, useful text.

  As the update is focused on a specific scope and the document is long,
  reviewers likely need to focus on the updated parts, for example as 
   shown by rfcdiff:
   https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5661.txt&url2=https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns-03.txt

Personnel

   Magnus Westerlund & Spencer Shepler is the document shepherd.
   Magnus Westerlund is the responsible area director.