Subject: [nfsv4] Protocol Action: 'RDMA Connection Manager Private Data For RPC-Over-RDMA Version 1' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcrdma-cm-pvt-data-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2020 07:13:33 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RDMA Connection Manager Private Data For RPC-Over-RDMA Version 1'
  (draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcrdma-cm-pvt-data-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network File System Version 4 Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcrdma-cm-pvt-data/

Technical Summary:
   
   This document specifies the format of RDMA-CM Private Data exchanged
   between RPC-over-RDMA version 1 peers as part of establishing a
   connection.  Such private data is used to indicate peer support for
   remote invalidation and larger-than-default inline thresholds.  The
   addition of the private data payload specified in this document is an
   OPTIONAL extension.  The RPC-over-RDMA version 1 protocol does not
   require the payload to be present.

Working Group Summary

   The working group was aligned on this work and it moved
   through the review process with good input but nothing contentious.

Document Quality

   This document represents input from the NFSv4 community with long
   standing experience.  The authors represent the quality work of the
   working group and are trusted in the community with their
   experience and ability to draft quality, useful text. Key comments 
   and reviewers included Christoph Hellwig and Devesh Sharma for suggesting 
   this approach, and Tom Talpey and Dave Noveck for extensive review. 
   All are experts in this technical area.

   This document reflects the experience of implementation and deployment
   in the Linux NFS client and server both support the message format specified
   in the document. Support was merged in fall of 2019 with Linux v4.9. Other
   implementations have expressed interest in adopting the work, including
   the support for Remote Invalidation

Personnel

   Brian Pawlowski is the document shepherd.
   Magnus Westerlund is the responsible area director.