Subject: [nfsv4] Meeting follow-up

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 18:07:06 -0400

During the meeting, I pointed out the need for working group consensus on a
few matters, in order to allow progress to be made on 5661bis-related
documents.  Due to the press of  time and WebEx difficulties, we were
unable to arrive at tentative decisions with regard to these matters during
the meeting, to be subject to confirmation on the working group list.

I'll be discussing the expected process to arrive at  consensus decisions
on the working group list. I'm hoping to close on the following items
within the next month.

   - Adoption of draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-internationalization as a working
   group document.
   - Consensus agreement on the overall shape of the v4.1 spec document set
   to allow us to move forward once the 5661sesqui spec is (finally !)
   published

For the internationalization document, I'll be establishing a two-week
comment period to allow anybody to raise issues about this.   Given that
this document restates the RFC7530 approach and applies it to other minor
versions, I don't see this being at all controversial.   I see the two
remaining issues to address being dealt with in the context of a working
group document  allowing WGLC to occur early in 2021.  The two issues are:

   - Resolution of the IDNA issues that arose from shifts in IDNA between
   the publication of RFC7530 and now.   I'm now pushing hard for help from
   I18ndir and expect to get that, but, as these things go, it could take a
   month or more.
   - Addressing, to the degree we can in NFSv4.1, issues regarding the
   interaction of internationalization and name caching, the issue brought to
   our attention by Nico via draft-williams-filesystem-i18n.   I'll send out
   more about this issue and the associated v4.2 follow-on work in a later
   email

With regard to the structure of the v4.1 specification, my original
intention was to produce an rfc5661bis.   At the meeting, I presented an
alternative plan to divide the document into two 300-page documents which
you might call draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-discussion and
draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-reference.  Sections 1-13 and 22 would be in
discussion while Sections 15-20 would be in reference.  Choosing to do this
now would not foreclose further subdivision of the discussion document.

We could decide this matter quite soon (a few weeks)  but, because this is
a decision with long-term consequences, I feel it is better to allocate a
full month for any needed discussion.

So, to summarize:

   - We expect to  be making a decision about working group adoption of the
   internationalization draft by 7/28.
   - We expect to be making a decision about the choice of fundamental
   document structure for the new v4.1 specification by 8/14.