Subject: [nfsv4] new value for sourcecode "type" attribute

From: Chuck Lever <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 08:19:20 -0400

Hello -

RFC 7991 defines version 3 of the xml2rfc mark-up language. New
RFC documents are being converted to version 3.

v3 adds a "sourcecode" element that is used to demark source code
included in published RFCs. The new element is defined here:

 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7991#section-2.48

Section 2.48.4 defines a "type" attribute that specifies the type
of the included source code. The current list of type values is
maintained here:

 https://www.rfc-editor.org/materials/sourcecode-types.txt

Currently there is no value for XDR code (eg, source code that
might be contained in a .x file and fed to rpcgen). This language
looks like C, but is distinct. We likely need a unique type value
for this type of source code.

Because the nfsv4 WG is responsible for XDR and publishes documents
containing XDR source code, IMO this WG should come to a public
consensus on a consistent and appropriate value for code of this
type, and then request that the RFC Editor add that value to its
list of preferred sourcecode type values.

For consistency among the many documents that will be published
with such source code, I propose that a single new value "xdr" be
added to the list of preferred values for this purpose. Please
reply to this e-mail if you have objections.

--
Chuck Lever

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 16:45:55 +0300

On 2020-7-29, at 15:19, Chuck Lever <[email-masked]> wrote:
> added to the list of preferred values for this purpose.

Do it.

Lars