Subject: [nfsv4] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-internationalization-02.txt

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 11:18:05 -0400

Although my original plan was to submit draft-ietf-nfsv4-00 by now, I have
submitted one more iteration of my individual draft because of the large
number of changes I had to make to deal with:

   - The issues raised by Nico regarding the need for client-awareness of
   the details of form-insensitive (and possibly case-insensitive) name
   comparison.
   - The need to deal with the fs_charset_cap attribute added in RFC5661.

I'd like to give people an opportunity to comment on these changes before
submitting draft-ietf-nfsv4-internationalization-00.

In particular, given the confusing description of this attribute (see
section 7.1), I'd like to know how this attribute has been implemented and
used, if at all, to make sure that my attempt to guess at what was really
intended do not give rise to interoperability problems.   Given the state
of the description (in RFCs 5661 and 8881), I'm not sure whether this was
ever implemented, so please give me the implementation information you
have, even if you have never seen any actual server implementation or
client code using this attribute.  If it was never implemented or used, no
interoperability problems can arise. :-)

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 10:53 AM
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-internationalization-02.txt
To: David Noveck <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-internationalization-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by David Noveck and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-internationalization
Revision:       02
Title:          Internationalization for the NFSv4 Protocols
Document date:  2020-09-06
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          57
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-internationalization-02.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-internationalization/
Htmlized:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-internationalization
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-internationalization-02
Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-internationalization-02

Abstract:
   This document describes the handling of internationalization for all
   NFSv4 protocols, including NFSv4.0, NFSv4.1, NFSv4.2 and extensions
   thereof, and future minor versions.

   It updates RFC7530 and RFC5661.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Bruce Fields)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:58:08 -0400

On Sun, Sep 06, 2020 at 11:18:05AM -0400, David Noveck wrote:
> intended do not give rise to interoperability problems.

The fs_charset_cap attribute has never been used by the Linux kernel
client or server, for what it's worth.

--b.