Subject: [nfsv4] [Errata Rejected] RFC5661 (5982)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 04:29:29 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been rejected for RFC5661,
"Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5982

--------------------------------------
Status: Rejected
Type: Technical

Reported by: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2020-02-13
Rejected by: Magnus Westerlund (IESG)

Section: 2.10.6.1.3.1

Original Text
-------------
   If a requester sent a Sequence operation with a slot ID and sequence
   ID that are in the reply cache but the replier detected that the
   retried request is not the same as the original request, including a
   retry that has different operations or different arguments in the
   operations from the original and a retry that uses a different
   principal in the RPC request's credential field that translates to a
   different user, then this is a false retry.  When the replier detects
   a false retry, it is permitted (but not always obligated) to return
   NFS4ERR_FALSE_RETRY in response to the Sequence operation when it
   detects a false retry.

Corrected Text
--------------
   If a requester sent a Sequence operation with a slot ID and sequence
   ID that are in the reply cache but the replier detected that the
   retried request is not the same as the original request, including a
   retry that was issued with a different XID or has different operations 
   or different arguments in the operations from the original and a retry 
   that uses a different principal in the RPC request's credential field 
   that translates to a different user, then this is a false retry.  When 
   the replier detects a false retry, it is permitted (but not always 
   obligated) to return NFS4ERR_FALSE_RETRY in response to the Sequence 
   operation when it detects a false retry

Notes
-----
The existing text can be read as requiring checksumming of all requests to foreclose the possibility of not noticing a false retry, which can result in data corruption.  This can be a
significant performance consideraation in the processing of WRITE requests and could undercut the benefits of directly placing data to be written which is one of the impotant goals of RPC-over-RDMA.
 --VERIFIER NOTES-- 
   No consensus in the WG if this is just a correction. Thus rejecting the issue and may be brought for WG consenus discussion in the context of document update. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5661 (draft-ietf-nfsv4-minorversion1-29)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol
Publication Date    : January 2010
Author(s)           : S. Shepler, Ed., M. Eisler, Ed., D. Noveck, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Network File System Version 4
Area                : Transport
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG