Subject: [nfsv4] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpc-tls-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 07:09:47 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network File System Version 4 WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Towards Remote Procedure Call Encryption By Default
        Authors         : Trond Myklebust
                          Charles Lever
	Filename        : draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpc-tls-11.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2020-11-23

Abstract:
   This document describes a mechanism that, through the use of
   opportunistic Transport Layer Security (TLS), enables encryption of
   Remote Procedure Call (RPC) transactions while they are in-transit.
   The proposed mechanism interoperates with ONC RPC implementations
   that do not support it.  This document updates RFC 5531.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpc-tls/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpc-tls-11.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpc-tls-11

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 15:29:16 +0000

WG,

This update is a minor changes due to feedback from Russ Housley about some
not aligned terminology that we got during the actual assignment. Chuck has
drafted this and Russ are happy with it. I see no issues with the changes.
It would be good if the WG participants check the changes. 

I thought it was best that the document was updated directly, rather than
introduce these changes in AUTH48. Especially as this document are now in
the MISSREF status due to the DTLS related drafts and the TLS Channel
Binding (ietf-kitten-tls-channel-bindings-for-tls13). The last is likely the
one that will take the longest time, as the other already are with the AD.

Cheers

Magnus 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: nfsv4 <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of internet-
> [email-masked]
> Sent: den 23 november 2020 16:10
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [nfsv4] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpc-tls-11.txt
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> nfsv4 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Tom Talpey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 11:55:03 -0500

The changes look good to me, they improve clarity in several places.

I'm not qualified to offer an opinion on the subjectAltName additions.
I defer to Russ and other security reviewers.

Tom.

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 18:36:16 -0800

> It would be good if the WG participants check the changes. 

The changes look good to me.

> one that will take the longest time, as the other already are with the AD.

Yes, the last one is still in the WG and needs a few more reviews.  It got
some attention recently, but I should probably solicit more reviews from
TLS WG members as well.

Thanks,

Ben