Subject: [nfsv4] Fwd: Guidelines for IETF 111 session requests

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 06:50:23 -0400

I intend to request two hours at IETF 111, potentially splittable into two
one-hour sessions.

Given that this meeting will be scheduled using PDT, I don't see that most
people will have time-of-day concerns, although I'd like those in more
distant time zones, such as CEST, to let me know their issues.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Apr 15, 2021, 11:33 AM
Subject: Guidelines for IETF 111 session requests
To: <[email-masked]>

Hi,

the IESG and the IRTF Chair believe there is value for most working and
research
groups to have a session during IETF meetings, to encourage interchange of
ideas
with the broadest possible audience.

While we would love to be able to give every WG all the time that they’d
need,
we have very clear feedback that a remote meeting that extends beyond five
days
or six hours per day is challenging for participants. This means that there
is
less meeting time available during remote meetings than during in-person
meetings.

While more meeting time can be added by going beyond eight simultaneous
tracks,
this increases the potential for conflicts when sessions are scheduled in
the
same slot. IETF 110 was scheduled with nine parallel tracks, and meeting
feedback indicated that the community noticed an increase in conflicts.

In light of this tension, and in preparation for IETF 111 as a likely remote
meeting, we ask that you consider the following guidelines as you decide
how to
make your session requests for IETF 111, which will become possible on
April 26:

    * If your WG or RG needs more than two hours of meeting time, please
      consider structuring the agenda so that work items that benefit most
from
      broad community exposure (e.g., new work, rechartering, adoption
calls)
      take place in a single session at IETF 111, and schedule interim
meetings
      for all other work items. Note that you are allowed to schedule
interim
      meetings for the week after IETF meetings but not the week before, nor
      during, the IETF meeting week.

    * Requests for more than two hours of total meeting time are
discouraged. In
      special cases, you may request more than two hours of meeting time,
but we
      will likely request a rationale, and scheduling pressure may still
make it
      impossible to grant any additional meeting slots.

    * If you request a single two-hour session, we encourage you to mention
in
      the comments of the session request if it’s OK to split the time into
two
      separate 1-hour sessions. This substantially increases the scheduling
      degrees of freedom to reduce conflicts.

    * We also request you to carefully review your list of conflicts,
instead of
      simply copying the previous meeting’s list. Inaccurate conflict
reporting
      creates real conflicts.

    * Finally, as always, please try your best to estimate the meeting time
your
      WG will need, because requesting more time than needed increases
agenda
      pressure.

Lars Eggert
IETF Chair (on behalf of the IESG)