Subject: [nfsv4] ASN.1 in draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpc-tls

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 15:13:20 -0400

Could I impose on you to replace the ASN.1 module fragment with a full module?  I realize I am late in the process, but the change is quite small.  One place to insert the module, and another to request the module identifier from IANA.

The module insertion:

OLD:

   <CODE BEGINS>
   -- OID Arc

   id-kp OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
   { iso(1) identified-organization(3) dod(6) internet(1)
   security(5) mechanisms(5) pkix(7) kp(3) }

   -- Extended Key Usage Values

   id-kp-rpcTLSClient OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { id-kp XXX }
   id-kp-rpcTLSServer OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { id-kp YYY }
   <CODE ENDS>

NEW:

 <CODE BEGINS>
 RPCoverTLS-2021
   { iso(1) identified-organization(3) dod(6) internet(1)
     security(5) mechanisms(5) pkix(7) id-mod(0)
     id-mod-rpcOverTLS-2021(TBD) }

 DEFINITIONS IMPLICIT TAGS ::= 
 BEGIN

 -- OID Arc

 id-kp OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
   { iso(1) identified-organization(3) dod(6) internet(1)
     security(5) mechanisms(5) pkix(7) kp(3) }

 -- Extended Key Usage Values

 id-kp-rpcTLSClient OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { id-kp XXX }
 id-kp-rpcTLSServer OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { id-kp YYY }

 END
 <CODE ENDS>

The IANA considerations addition in Section 8.3:

NEW:

   RFC Editor: In the following subsection, please replace TBD
   with the IANA numbers assigned to these new entries.  And, please
   remove this Editor's Note before this document is published.

   Per the Specification Required policy as defined in Section 4.6 of
   [RFC8126], the authors request the reservation of the following new
   values:

   *  The RPCoverTLS-2021 ASN.1 module in the "SMI Security for PKIX
      Module Identifier" registry (1.3.6.1.5.5.7.0) (see Appendix B).

   *  The The RPCoverTLS-2021 module identifier
      (1.3.6.1.5.5.7.0.TBD).  The description of this new entry should
      be " id-mod-rpcOverTLS-2021".

I am the IANA Expert for the registries in question, and this will make the assignment super straightforward to process.

Thanks for your consideration.

Russ