Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Summary of RFC status for draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpc-tls

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 21:53:48 -0700

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 05:49:08PM +0000, Chuck Lever III wrote:
> https://www.rfc-editor.org/cluster_info.php?cid=C321
> 
> draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpc-tls-11  is in MISSREF*R(1G), in the queue 50+ weeks.
> 
> 
> - draft-ietf-tls-dtls13-43  is in AUTH48*R

This one had to be paused for a bit to work out some issues around using a
wider type to hold the epoch value, to accomodate some DTLS-SCTP use cases
involving associations expected to remain up for years at a time.
https://github.com/tlswg/dtls13-spec/issues/249 ends up covering most of
the topics, though the discussion is a bit jumbled.
We have a proposed solution with almost all the signoffs needed, and should
be attempting to confirm this approach at the session at IETF 112 next
week.

> - draft-ietf-tls-dtls-connection-id-13  is in AUTH48

As far as I can tell this is just waiting for author approval from one
author.

> - draft-ietf-kitten-tls-channel-bindings-for-tls13  is NOT-RECEIVED
> 
> 
> The TLS channel binding document has been submitted to the IESG for
> publication, waiting for Ben Kaduk's write-up.

The IETF last call finished a couple weeks ago, but discussion has
continued on the TLS and KITTEN lists about a couple topics raised during
the last call (not least, whether or not to have an Updates: relationship
with RFC 8446.  I am not fully caught up on that thread, but the bits I did
get to look at so far seemed to be converging.

I'm sorry that these have been taking so long; these delays were
unexpected.

-Ben