Subject: [Nfvrg] CFP - 3rd IEEE Workshop on Orchestration for Software-Defined Infrastructures (O4SDI)

From: Barbara Martini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 13:15:36 +0200

Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP

************************************************************************

                          3rd IEEE Workshop on
       Orchestration for Software-Defined Infrastructures (O4SDI)
http://o4sdi.unibo.it/o4sdi3

       To be held in conjunction with the 2017 IEEE Conference on
     Network Function Virtualization and Software Defined Networks
                          (IEEE NFV-SDN 2017)
                  6th November 2017 // Berlin, Germany

************************************************************************

The  current  industry  trend   of  convergence  between  computing  and
networking  eco-systems  clearly  shows   that  software  will  play  an
unprecedented    dominant   role    also    in   future    communication
environments. Computing, storage, and  connectivity services, as well as
any other present and future  application instances, will be deployed in
the form of virtualized  assets within a software-defined infrastructure
running on top of general-purpose processing and communication hardware,
all  managed  and  made  available   under  the  cloud  “As  A  Service”
paradigm.  This  technological  convergence and  infrastructure  sharing
between the computing and communication  systems portend a scenario with
a  “fog”  of  micro-clouds  composed of  generalized  virtual  functions
providing both  applications and network services  that supplement those
deployed in traditional cloud datacenters.

The   Third  IEEE   Workshop  on   Orchestration  for   Software-Defined
Infrastructures (O4SDI)  addresses the  challenges that  will facilitate
orchestration and  programmability of  generalized virtual  functions in
Software  Defined  Infrastructures  (SDI), enabling  cloud  and  network
providers  to  deploy  integrated  services  across  different  resource
domains. Orchestration  mechanisms will  facilitate the  live deployment
and lifecycle management  of these virtual elements,  at the application
level, the  server level, and the  network level within a  single domain
and across multiple  domains. Without such orchestration it  will not be
possible  to   enable  dynamic  establishment  of   generalized  virtual
functions chains, according to service requirements.

These  challenges  of  orchestration   are  many-fold,  with  many  open
questions that need to be addressed in the areas of:

●  network   "softwarization"  which  requires  unified   management  of
   computing,  storage,   and  network   resources  for   the  effective
   deployment,  lifecycle  management,  and  run-time  configuration  of
   generalized virtual functions;

●  abstraction models  and open standard interfaces,  needed for assuring
   vendor interoperability;

●  adaptation and  optimization mechanisms,  which must  be enforced  at
   global and/or  local level for  coping with user  demand, application
   requirements, resource unavailability, etc.

O4SDI  aims at  providing  an international  forum  for researchers  and
practitioners from  academia, industry,  network operators,  and service
providers  to discuss  and  address the  challenges  deriving from  such
emerging scenario where  systems, processes, and workflows  used in both
computing  and  communications  domains  are  converging.  The  workshop
welcomes contributions from both computing and network-oriented research
communities,    with    the     aim    of    facilitating    discussion,
cross-fertilization   and  exchange   of   ideas   and  practices,   and
successfully promote innovative solutions toward a real programmatic use
of  software-defined  infrastructures  as a  whole.  Contributions  that
discuss lessons learnt and best practices, describe practical deployment
and implementation experiences, and demonstrate innovative use-cases are
especially encouraged for presentation and publication.

We are particularly interested in papers that cover, but are not limited
to, the following topics:

●  single domain and cross domain orchestration issues
●  integrated network and computing resource control and management
●  control and abstraction of heterogeneous networks
●  orchestration in SDN/NFV
●  run-time orchestration
●  orchestration for next-generation IP and optical networks
●  orchestration in 5G networks
●  QoS/QoE in software-defined infrastructures
●  orchestration for high-availability and resilience in
   software-defined infrastructures
●  intent-based orchestration
●  orchestration for fog computing and networking
●  dynamic service composition and delivery
●  network programmability for service chaining
●  orchestration of network slices and data center slices
●  software engineering and operating systems techniques applied
   to orchestration
●  description, specification, and abstraction languages for
   orchestration
●  optimal orchestration algorithms
●  context-aware orchestration
●  functional architectures of orchestrating elements
●  testbed experiments on orchestrations
●  performance evaluation of orchestration elements
●  standardization issues in orchestration
●  best practices in orchestration

Important Dates

- Workshop Paper Submission: July 9, 2017
- Notification of Acceptance: August 28, 2017
- Camera-ready Submission: September 15, 2017

Paper submissions will be handled on-line through the EDAS system.

Prospective  authors  are  invited   to  submit  high-quality,  original
technical papers for presentation at the workshop and publication in the
O4SDI Proceedings  and IEEE Xplore.  Papers must be written  in English,
unpublished and not  submitted elsewhere. Full papers  must be formatted
as  the  standard  IEEE  double-column conference  template.  All  final
submissions should have a maximum paper  length of six (6) printed pages
(10-point font),  including figures,  without incurring  additional page
charges.

Workshop Co-Chairs

- Stuart Clayman, University College London, UK - [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>
- Walter Cerroni, University of Bologna, Italy - [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>
- Barbara Martini, CNIT, Pisa, Italy - [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>
- Federica Paganelli, CNIT, Firenze, Italy - [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>