Subject: [NGO] [[email-masked]: I-D ACTION:draft-schoenw-snmp-discover-00.txt]

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:23:59 +0100

Hi,

I started an ID concerning engineID discovery. There was some
discussion about this topic in the ISMS working group in the past and
recently there was a thread on the "netconf goes on" (ngo) mailing
list <[email-masked]>.

ISMS is not really chartered to work on general engineID discovery.
However, any real-world ISMS implementation needs to figure out a way
how to do engineID discovery. The approach documented in the ID does
provide a general discovery mechanism which has the benefit that it
does not need any modifications to existing SNMPv3 standards (as far
as I understand things).

I am looking for review, feedback, criticism and suggestions. If we
manage to find agreement on an approach, I am sure we can talk to the
various ADs how we can best move this forward. Lets get a solution
worked out first.

Since the ISMS list is not really busy and since ISMS implementations
kind of need engineID discovery to be acceptable in practice, I think
it is fine to host further discussions here on this list (and I expect
that a sufficient number of SNMP experts are following the ISMS list
anyway).

/js

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

To: [email-masked]
Cc: 
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:50:06 -0500
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-schoenw-snmp-discover-00.txt 
Precedence: list
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Errors-To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) EngineID Discovery
	Author(s)	: J. Schoenwaelder
	Filename	: draft-schoenw-snmp-discover-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2006-12-13
	
   To retrieve management information using the third version of the
   Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), it is necessary to know
   the identifier of the remote SNMP protocol engine.  This document
   introduces a discovery mechanism which can be used to learn the
   engine identifier of a remote SNMP protocol engine.  The proposed
   mechanism is independent of the features provided by SNMP security
   models and may be used also by other protocol interfaces to discover
   the engine identifier.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schoenw-snmp-discover-00.txt

[...]

_______________________________________________
NGO mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ngo

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:59:57 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> (and I expect
If they are, I will admit my surprise at their ability to remain
absolutely quiet.

dbh