Subject: [NGO] New CANMOD BOF Agenda

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 08:31:21 +0100

Hi,

Here's the new CANMOD BOF Agenda with changes that I hope are in line with 
what the IAB/IESG requested.

Cheers,

David

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comparing Approaches to NETCONF Modeling (CANMOD) BOF

BOF length: 2.5 hours

Chair: Randy Presuhn ([email-masked])
Discussion: On the NETCONF Goes On list ([email-masked])

The NETCONF Working Group has completed a base protocol to be
used for configuration management.  The current specifications do
not include a modeling language or accompanying rules for how to
model management information to be configured and monitored using
NETCONF.  A data modeling framework is needed to support ongoing
development of IETF and vendor-defined management information
modules.

The goal of the BOF is to determine whether there is sufficient
interest and cohesion to form a working group to standardize a
data modeling language for NETCONF.  The BOF will discuss and
assess data modeling requirements and use cases for NETCONF
documented by design teams in the form of internet drafts.
Specific proposals documented as internet drafts will be used to
explain the potential technical consequences of meeting specific
proposed requirements.

The target is for the BOF to recommend how NETCONF data modeling
work should procede.

Design teams collected, clarified and categorized requirements
for a data modeling language from a broad group of IETF
participants. Many of these requirements have broad agreement.
These requirements, and a collection of use-cases motivating the
requirements where broad agreement was not reached, are
documented in Internet Drafts. Design teams have also prepared
annotated examples of instance documents to illustrate many of
the requirements.  All BOF participants are expected to read
these documents and to understand the basic concepts of the
NETCONF protocol.

In order to ensure productive discussion, the BOF chairs will
only grant agenda time to discuss requirements and illustrative
proposals which have been made available in internet drafts.
Discussion will focus on gaining clarity about the requirements
and the use cases.  As time permits, we will also look at whether
and how the specific proposals address the requirements and use
cases.

Though the BOF's initial focus will be on the discussion and
validation of the requirements gathered, it is expected that this
will lead to discussions within the NETCONF community of the
technology implications of the requirements and to a comparison
of specific solution proposals.

Input Documents:

  Requirements for a Configuration Data Modeling Language
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-presuhn-rcdml-02.txt

  An Evaluation Framework for Data Modeling Languages in Network
  Management Domain
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-xiao-evaluate-dml-01.txt

  NETCONF Data Modeling Language Requirements
  http://www.ersue.de/I-D/draft-linowski-netconf-DML-requirements-00.txt 

  YANG - A data modeling language for NETCONF:
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bjorklund-netconf-yang-02.txt

  Using XML Schema to define NETCONF Content:
  http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-chisholm-netconf-model-07.txt

Agenda (preliminary since we don't know which proposals there
will be):

(times may have to be adjusted depending on how many proposals
there are.)

  1. Introduction (chair): 5 minutes

  2. Discussion of general requirements I-Ds, with illustrations
  from proposals: 85 minutes

  3. Requirements unique to specific proposals: max 10 minutes
  per proposal a) "Using XML Schema to define NETCONF Content" b)
  "something relaxng-ish" c) "YANG - A data modeling language for
  NETCONF" d) (others added as they appear)

  4. General discussion and way forward (all time left)

Proposed charter for the NETCONF Modeling Working Group, to be
formed after this BOF:

  The Working Group will standardize a modeling language and
  associated modeling rules to be used when defining management
  information to be used specifically with NETCONF.

  The Working Group is specifically NOT chartered to standardize
  a protocol-independent modeling language, but broader
  applicability of the language should not be needlessly
  hindered.

  The Working Group will use XX as the starting point for
  standardization.

  Deliverables, etc. to be decided later.
_______________________________________________
NGO mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ngo