Subject: Re: (ngtrans) AAAA Record Transition Strategy

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 13:24:57 -0500

Jim Bound:
> > But users who deploy IPv6 today will have to rekey their DNS records 
> > at some point right (or however they may enter them) and any SIG records
> > will have to redone too?

I don't think updating of SIGs is an issue -- that has to be done
every time the sig-valid time elapses, or when the signed record is
updated.  In other words, about as often as we update our zone files
now.  (I dunno about you, but around here that's AT LEAST once per
work day.)  And for as long as a site wishes to maintain both A6 and
AAAA records, the AAAA can be generated *and signed* automatically at
the same time the A6 records are signed.

Randy Bush:
> would they not have to do the same with the bastardized AAAA RR type?

Yes.  But I think that is a dead issue.  Nobody wants to speak up for
keeping the same DNS record name with new data in it, do they?
Going, going ...

					Matt

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 23:06:34 +0200

I see that so far in this thread, nobody's mentioned what draft
we're actually talking about.

I believe it's draft-ietf-ipngwg-aaaa-03.txt, with the agreement
that it is changed to define the "A6" record type, not the "AAAA"
record type.

If I'm wrong, someone speak up!

                      Harald A

-- 
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
[email-masked]

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 17:03:22 -0500

> If I'm wrong, someone speak up!

No, it's draft-ietf-ipngwg-dns-lookups-01.txt, modified to change
"AAAA, type=28" to "A6, type = (TBA)" and add some mention of AAAA
compatibility mechanisms.

But then, dns-lookups-01 is mainly a merge of aaaa-03 with another
document specifying the new reverse lookup mechanism.

				Matt

---

From: Bob Fink <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 15:43:15 -0700

Harald,

>If I'm wrong, someone speak up!

I believe it is draft:

	ftp://ftp.isi.edu/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-dns-lookups-01.txt

From Bob Hinden's IPng August-Chicago minutes:

>DNS Extension to Support IP Version 6  / M. Crawford
>----------------------------------------------------
>
>
>Status of -ipngwg-dns-lookups-01
>- Merges dns-lookups-00 and aaaa-03.
>    o Modified AAAA RDATA format, discussed to death in L.A.
>       - 128 bits + prefix length + prefix DNS name
...etc

Bob

---

From: Jim Bound IPv6 Technical Leader UNIX Engineering Internet Group <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 19:19:11 -0400

Matt,

>the same time the A6 records are signed.

Good point.................

thanks
/jim