Subject: RE: (ngtrans) Stateless tunnelling

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 22:29:31 -0700

> The idea is that the IPv6 address of Ha and Hb embeds the 
> IPv4 address of their local router (Ra and Rb respectively). 
> Suppose that Ra has IPv4 address 1.2.3.4 and Rb has IPv4 
> address 5.6.7.8. Ra advertises with prefix 1:0102:0304::/48 
> and Rb with 1:0506:0708::/48. 

Hmm, a couple thoughts. First, I don't understand the problem scenario. Why
wouldn't Ra and Rb just participate in the 6bone and normal v6 routing (some
hops might be tunnels, some not) would happen between them? Second, this
means that Na and Nb would not use aggregatable addressing. This would
impair the efficiency of v6 routing to those networks.

Rich

---

From: Jacob Refstrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:30:46 +0100

>impair the efficiency of v6 routing to those networks.

Good points - as I wrote I wasn't entirely sure that this hadn't already
been covered by the existing IPv6 work.

Thanks,

Jacob