Subject: RE: (ngtrans) W.G. Last Call on "Network Address Translation - Pr otocol Translation (NAT-PT)"

From: Marc Fiuczynski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:08:31 -0800

Hi,

>Could we get the opinion of one of the implementors?
>Jim, Erik, Pedro, what do you think? 

I'm also working on a v6/v4 translator.  So I guess that makes me an
implementor. :)
My implementation can either do stateless or stateful translation.

I partially agree with Brian Carpenter's suggestion.  The duplication of
information in both SIIT and NAT-PT is probably not good.  It seems that
protocol translation and address translation are two separate things.
From an implementor's perspective, I'd prefer to see one definitive
document that describes the basics of protocol translation and separate
documents that concentrate on address translation.  My suggestion is
that there be

1) a document on basic v4/v6 "protocol" translation
   - e.g., section 4&5 from SIIT without description
     of how to translate addresses.

2) a document on stateless "address" translation
   - e.g., other sections from SIIT

3) a document on stateful "address" translation
   - e.g., NAT-PT sections describing stateful translation

Marc

p.s., for more information regarding the translator that I am working on
visit http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/networking/napt.

-----Original Message-----
From: George Tsirtsis [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, November 13, 1998 2:03 AM
To: Brian E Carpenter
Cc: [email-masked]; Tony Hain; Harald Tveit Alvestrand
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) W.G. Last Call on "Network Address Translation -
Protocol Translation (NAT-PT)"

Seriously, if the WG, the IESG and the implementors on this 
list feel that Brian's  suggestion will make the document better I will
make the necessary changes.

---

From: Gregory Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 14:39:31 -0800 (PST)

I think you guys are doing a terrific job, keep up the good work!
Let me know how things are going, please.

Thanks alot.

Gregory Taylor
Network Security Analyst
Consultant and Contract Unix Administrator
Internet Protocol Version 6 Security and Authentication Team

SantaCruz Networks

[email-masked]