Subject: (ngtrans) Draft Agenda for IPng/NGTRANS Interim Meeting

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 18:08:42 -0800

Folks,

Attached is the draft agenda for the interim IPng and NGTRANS working
group meetings, February 2-4, in Grenoble, France.  If you plan to
attend, PLEASE register by emailing your name to <[email-masked]>, so we
know how many people to plan for.  See 

   http://www.ipv6.imag.fr/ietf1999.html

for travel and hotel information, as well as the list of currently
registered attendees.

The general structure of the three days will be:

   Day 1: IPng w.g. meeting
   Day 2: NGTRANS w.g. meeting
   Day 3: Non-IETF related discussions about IPv6 deployment and promotion

Depending on interest and number of topics to be covered, either of the
two WG meetings may be allowed to overflow its one-day slot, e.g., by
reallocating time from one of the other meetings or adding an evening
session on Wednesday.

This is a *draft* agenda; please send suggested additions/changes to the
WG chairs (listed in the Cc: line of this message).

Bob, Steve, Bob, Tony
IPng and NGTRANS Chairs

----------------------------------------------------------------
IPng / NGTRANS INTERIM MEETING AGENDA
----------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, February 2 -- IPng w.g. meeting
----------------------------------------

 Purpose:

   The IPng w.g. has mostly completed its original charter, except for
   shepherding the many w.g. specs through the final stages of Internet
   Standardization.  The purposes of this meeting are: (a) to review the
   state of our many documents to identify any holes or loose ends that
   must be finished up to complete our charter, and (b) to identify and
   discuss new IPv6-related topics that the attendees think should be
   taken on by the IETF or the IRTF (Internet Research Task Force),
   either in the current working group or in other working groups /
   research groups.

 Requirements for Attendees:

   **NOTE** All attendees are required to bring a short list (one to five
   items, on a single sheet of paper) of topics that they consider the
   most important IPv6-related topics for the IETF or IRTF to work on.
   Also, some attendees will be asked to lead discussions of specific
   topics (volunteers gratefully accepted).

 Agenda:

   (1) Review state/completeness of current IPv6-related protocols

     - IPv6 Protocols
        o Base Protocol
        o Addressing
        o ICMP, Neighbor discovery, auto config, MLD
        o IPover<link>, Header compression
        o DNS
        o MIB's 
        o Path MTU
        o Router Alert
        o Jumbograms
     - API's
     - Routing Protocols (Unicast and Multicast)
     - DHCP
     - IP Mobility

   (2) Identify important new IPv6 protocol/standards work

     - State of Plug-and-Play  (Hinden)
	 o "Dentist's office"
	 o Secure "Dentist's office"
     - Securing ICMP/ND/MLD (who?)
     - Will IPv6 work for a Billion (or more) PDA's and
	 Mobile Phones? (who?)
     - Better Support for Multihomed Hosts (who?)
     - Better Support for Multihomed Sites (who?)
     - Flow Label usage (who?)
     - ...

   (3) Formulate recommendations to the IESG/IAB, re future IPv6 work

     - Disposition of IPng w.g. (extend charter? go on hiatus?)
     - Distribution of work to other existing WGs?
     - Evaluation of all IETF protocols for "IPv6-readiness"?
     - Recommendations for establishing new WG(s) or RG(s)?

Wednesday, February 3 -- NGTRANS w.g. meeting
----------------------------------------

Purpose:

   The NGTRANS w.g. has developed a large set of transition tools
   including the original transition mechanisms (i.e., dual stack w/ IPv6
   over IPv4 tunneling), 6over4 without explicit tunnels, translation,
   and other tunneling techniques.  The purpose of the meeting is for the
   w.g. to converge on a smaller set of tools and mechanisms.

   The meeting will include discussing specific transition scenarios and
   evaluating how the current transition tools and mechanism work in
   these environments.

Agenda:

  (1) Review NGTRANS mission and charter

  (2) Develop a taxonomy for transition tools (who?)

  (3) Review current transition tools and mechanisms

    - Dual stack (who?)
    - Translation (who?)
    - 6over4 (who?)
    - Automatic tunneling (who?)
    - ...

  (4) Discuss specific transition scenarios (who?)

    - Private network case: (who?)
    - Public network case: (who?)
    - Issues to address in each scenario: (who?)

  (5) Review analysis and converge on set of tools and mechanisms.

Thursday, February 4 -- IPv6 Deployment and Promotion
-----------------------------------------------------

   The purpose of this day will be to review current deployment
   activities, potential additional efforts, and opportunities for
   educating and influencing developers, ISPs, network managers, and
   users.  This will include answering the following questions:

    - Why would anyone run IPv6 now?
    - Why would anyone ever run IPv6?
    - Who will deploy IPv6 first?
    - Will the Internet lead Corporate networks or follow as IPv6 is
      deployed?
    - How to get ISPs to deploy IPv6?

Agenda:

 (1) Existing deployment efforts:

   - 6BONE (who?)
   - 6REN (who?)

 (2) Potential efforts:

   - IPv6 Exchanges (who?)
   - Corporate Plans (who?)
   - ISP Plans (who?)
   - ...

 (3) Promotion

   - IPv6.org (who?)
   - Influencing developers, vendors, etc. (who?)

----------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 23:25:59 -0500

Bob,

Looks real good and worthwhile... even more than I was hoping for.

Please add time on the third day to give all an update on our new IPv6
Deployment Mail lists and other things we are doing with WEB Servers,
Mail Lists, and Pub Domain software.   Perry Metzger and I are leading
this and one or both of us will present what the status is (Perry if you
are not going I am and we can talk offline).  This is not an IETF
function so I will stop talking about this here.  I will send a short
update and what we are doing for those interested real soon !!!!
Also this work is different to the work I hear you, Bob and others are
doing, for the benefit of the WG (e.g. 6REN, Registries).  We all should
probably have an agenda item to discuss what each of us are doing so we
don't step on each other.  When I sent the mail about the Gathering in
Orlando all of a sudden I got tons of updates from folks on offline work
others are doing and happenings.  I highly suggest we communicate better
about such acitivities that are not an official role/mission of the IETF
where the Chairs, Internet ADs, etc have more control. In this arena
that is not the case and we are dealing with a different beast.
Coordination is key to making IPv6 get deployed.  We should at least all
be pushing the vectors in the same direction, but not necessarily with
the same acceleration.  I say this to set my feelings about the tone for
the 3rd day.  Especially regarding IETF politics regarding the
deployment of IPv6, which really does not have a place for this meeting
or should hinder it in "any way".   On the third day there really are no
kings.

thanks
/jim