Subject: (ngtrans) summary of NGtrans meeting of 16 March 99

From: Bob Fink <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 05:27:23 -0800

NGtrans folk,

I have included below the NGtrans meeting summary generated for the AD-s
for your information.

Thanks,

Bob

===
NGtrans Meeting Summary - 16 March 99

NGtrans met for 4 1/2 hours with ~170 attendees. It was announced that the
NGtrans current AD has approved a third co-chair for NGtrans, Alain Durand,
and that Randy Bush will be the new AD for NGtrans. The 6to4 draft was
discussed to determine the primary issues needing to be resolved, and to
decide whether to continue to perfect it. It was decided to continue with
work on 6to4 by publishing a new draft with more descriptive information
and to publish the open issues for discussion on the list. Two short
presentations were made describing new tools for the 6bone. One a VRML 3D
network topology viewer, the other the new Tunnel Broker service. A
Transition Roadmap document structure was discussed and refined, and a set
of participants defined to carry the effort forward. A plan to harden the
6bone for better operational reliability was outlined and a group setup to
recommend the steps for doing it. A restructuring of the 6bone pTLA address
structure was proposed, which will be refined on the list for adoption. The
5 existing transition tools/mechanisms documents were reviewed to decide if
they should be refined and/or developed further for standards processing
(these are: SIIT, AIIH, DTI, NAT-PT and BISS). SIIT, NAT-PT and BIS will
continue to be worked and evaluated as if they are destined for standards
track, while the developers of AIIH and DTI have decided to merge their
work, so a new draft will be produced soon.  The new AIIH/DTI draft is
expected to also be worked and evaluated for standards track.