Subject: (ngtrans) Software, Firmware. and/or hardware upgrades required

From: "Jeff Cummings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 07:08:03 -0500

When migrating to IPv6.  Will the upgrades to most hardware, specifically
routers, switches, and NIC cards, require a downloadable patches or a
hardware upgrade .

Also will operating systems require a total upgrade or a downloadable
patch.

Thanks

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, privileged or otherwise
protected from disclosure.  The information is intended to be used solely
by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not an intended recipient, be
aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If you have received this
transmission in error, please notify us immediately at [email-masked].

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 15:04:32 +0100

In your previous mail you wrote:

=> routers need software upgrade, switches should not need something
(but if your switches have level 3 functions then they should need a patch),
same case for NIC cards (but NIC cards have usually no level 3 stuff).

=> if the OSs are modular a patch can be enough (DLLs for WNT, modules
for AIX or Solaris), in other cases an upgrade is needed.

Regards

[email-masked]