Subject: (ngtrans) Transition classifications

From: "Mark Thompson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:17:50 -0000

Correct me if I'm wrong, but before we try to characterise each individual
aspect of the transition mechanism/tool, shouldn't we first characterise the
environment that it resides in?

For example, take the situation where I have a dual stack box sat on my desk
at Southampton and I want to talk IPv6 to Jim's box, Sipper over at Compaq.
What are the different environments en-route? Well, thats pretty hard to
document, but there are a number of key components that any packet has to
traverse. What effect does the transition mechanism/tool have on each?

Local Application -> Local Interface -> Local Node -> LAN -> Border
Router -> ISP -> Backbone/XCHNG -> ISP -> Remote Border Router -> Remote
LAN -> Remote Node -> Remote Interface -> Remote Application ... and back
again.

Do you see what I'm getting at?  By attempting to draw up the "grid" of
characteristics about a particular mechanism, we lose critical information
about its effects on the different components of the int[er|ra]network.

Possibly way off track, probably should read drafts closer, but its a
question none-the-less :-)

Mark/
--
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/info/people/mkt for contact info.