Subject: (ngtrans) BT's NAT-PT Implementation

From: NATPT - John King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:44:08 GMT

BT have developed an implementation of NAT-PT (Network Address Translation -
Protocol Translation) which is based on the IETF draft specification 
<draft-ietf-ngtrans-natpt-05.txt>
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-natpt-05.txt. NAT-PT
provides a seamless bi-directional translation capability between IPv4 and IPv6
networks. NAT-PT is located on the boundary router between IPv4 and IPv6 and 
translates all packets crossing the boundary and where necessary assigns a 
global IPv4 address to represent an IPv6 host. DNS is a vital component of 
NAT-PT as it allows hosts to communicate across the boundary by knowledge 
of DNS addresses and negates the need for end hosts to be concerned about 
the destination host network type or IP address.

The implementation developed in BT resides on a FreeBSD host using the Kame 
IPv6 stack for connection to the IPv6 network. We are making the implementation 
available to promote the draft specification, which was jointly written by BT 
and Lucent, and also promote the concept of NAT-PT as an IPv4/IPv6 translation 
mechanism.

We have two sites from which the NAT-PT implementation may be downloaded from.
http://nat-pt.ipv6.bt.net is a 6bone web site. 
Alternatively http://www.labs.bt.com/technical/nat_pt/
provides the same access via the Internet. We do ask that you identify yourself
prior to downloading the code so that we can gauge the level of interest and 
for the notification of code updates. If you would like to send us comments or 
report bugs please reply to this email address

[email-masked]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
	John King
	MLB4/54
	BT Labs
	Martlesham Heath
	Ipswich
	IP5 3RE
	UK
	Email:[email-masked]

British Telecommunications plc
Registered Office 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
Registered in England no 1800000

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------