Subject: (ngtrans) diff-serv comments on transition mechanisms spec

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 18:41:08 -0700 (PDT)

I have suggested text to the transition mechanisms specification to
point out to implementors that the TOS byte might be specified to behave
differently when encapsulating and decapsulating packets.

Since there isn't a Draft Standard specification (assuming transition
mechanisms will go to DS which has been the intent) for diff-serv tunneling
behavior (and the ECN bits are experimental) the text does not describe any 
new behavior but it nothing but a flag that implementors should think
about future changes in this area.

The text is:
3.5.  IPv4 Header Construction
...
        Type of Service:

                0. [Note that work underway in the IETF is redefining
                the Type of Service byte and as a result future RFCs
                might define a different behavior for the ToS byte when
                tunneling.]

3.6.  Decapsulation
...
   When decapsulating the packet, the IPv6 header is not modified.  If
   the packet is subsequently forwarded, its hop limit is decremented by
   one.

   The encapsulating IPv4 header is discarded.  [Note that work underway
   in the IETF is redefining the Type of Service byte and as a result
   future RFCs might define a different behavior for the ToS byte when
   decapsulating a tunneled packet.]

---

Is the new text in brackets ok?

   Erik

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 14:22:10 -0500

Suits me fine, and in my judgement this is an editorial change.

Thanks

   Brian

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter (IAB Chair)
Program Director, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM Internet Div
As of May 24, 1999: on assignment for IBM at http://www.iCAIR.org 
Non-IBM email: [email-masked]