Subject: RE: (ngtrans) I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ngtrans-mech-04.txt

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 21:25:30 -0700

> I think this answers my fundamental question about this 
> document, which is:
> Do hosts and routers perform Neighbor Discovery and Stateless Address
> Autoconfiguration on configured tunnels?

The actual current situation is I believe:

- Automatic tunneling gets very little use. Neighbor Discovery and
link-local addresses are not used with automatic tunnels.

- The 6bone is mostly built out of pairs of unidirectional configured
tunnels. Neighbor Discovery and link-local addresses are not used.

- A very small number of implementations support Carpenter/Jung 6-over-4 and
bidirectional configured tunnels, using Neighbor Discovery and link-local
addresses.

Note that I'm making a distinction between a pair of unidirectional
configured tunnels (does not use Neighbor Discovery) and a bidirectional
configured tunnel (uses Neighbor Discovery).

Rich

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 23:27:56 -0700 (PDT)

> tunnels. Neighbor Discovery and link-local addresses are not used.

If you run ripng (and perhaps other routing protocols) over these
tunnels you must have a link-local address since the ripng spec
mandates their use as source addresses.

> configured tunnel (uses Neighbor Discovery).

What is the difference in terms of implementing and/or configuring the
pair vs. the bidirectional one?

   Erik