Subject: (ngtrans) NAT-PT to change name after IESG review?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 10:30:26 +0100

All,

As you know NAT-PT <draft-ietf-ngtrans-natpt-06.txt> is currently under IESG
review. In between a number of good clarifications and corrections (thanks
Thomas/IESG!) Thomas Narten also expressed some concerns about the name
"NAT-PT".

- The concern is that NAT-PT might be confused with NAPT - Network Address
and Port Translator. 

Some alternatives where suggested from Thomas, Suresh and Alain but at the
end one came out as the best and this is "NAT64"  (64 meaning v6-to-v4) so I
was asked to pass this through the working group.

For the record my personal opinion (and I think Suresh's too)  is that it is
not a good idea to change the name at this stage, since NAT-PT has been
around for more than 2 years now and a lot of people know it by that name. 

In any case I am willing to accept "NAT64" as an alternative if the Working
Group also things the term "NAT-PT" is confusing and the alternative is
better. 

Your comments please.

Thanks
George