Subject: RE: (ngtrans) I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ngtrans-6to4-03.txt

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 22:18:30 -0700

About 6to4 relay routers...

I expect that v6 ISPs will have a huge incentive to deploy 6to4 relays as a
service for the v6 customers. Their native v6 customers will want to
communicate with 6to4-only sites out there.

The v6 ISP (or whoever is operating a 6to4 relay) can control who is using
the service.

From the native v6 side, ISP can control the propogation of the 2002::/16
route. For example, the ISP might only advertise 2002::/16 to its own
customers, so other ISP's native v6 sites won't send traffic through the
relay.

From the 6to4 side, the ISP can sell the relay service to 6to4-only sites,
basically charging the 6to4-only site for letting them set up a configured
tunnel to the relay. The ISP enforces this side by putting in a filter so
v6-in-v4 packets arriving from sites that aren't paying get dropped.

Since the v6 ISP can make money / attract customers by operating a 6to4
relay, I do not fear a shortage of relays.

Rich

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:38:23 -0700 (PDT)

> communicate with 6to4-only sites out there.

You are assuming that there will be a reasonable number of IPv6 ISPs
in the precense of 6to4.
If 6to4 is successful what is the incentive for an ISP to offer
native IPv6 service? It can just install a 6to4 router on the premises
of each customer that wants IPv6 service.

  Erik

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:47:14 -0700

> native IPv6 service?

scaling.  lack of kludge.  if there is a bunch of 6to4 that means there is a
market.  isps will want to look good to capture it.

randy