Subject: (ngtrans) ietf and ipv6....

From: ryane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:47:32 -0400

Just wondering here---but you while you guys are working on ipv6---this
ietf is out proposing the PSN issue be integrated in packet sourcing. 
Why on earth are these guys making my computer vulnerable?  Maybe pushin
ipv6 to be incompatable, or at least preventing it from ietf's beliefs
of what it should be, would be wise?
a few problems here:
1)not everybody has a processor serial number
2)if an ip address isn't unique enough, then wait till this comes out. 
A serial number attached to every packet sent out would result in a
greater security threat to all----If a serial number attached to a
packet is recorded by somebody of malicious intentions EX: mr. internet
stalker the serial number is much worse than a mac address----at least
some mac addresses can be manually changed.  At least ip addresses can
be changed---either statically or forced through dhcp (make your address
go to someone else) then renew you dynamic address lease.
How many of you people out there are actually concerned that while these
improvements to the internet might make things easier, they also might
create a bigger gap in your computer's security?
Do many of you know, how easy it is to hack a computer on a remote
network, with just the knowledge of what services and os that computer
has?
I think ipv4 is already too revealing to remote users---but when ietf
get's it's way---there'll be so many back doors to everybody's
computers, that an era of infomation warfare will hit----all in the name
of ease of use......let's see how easy it is when people start getting
blackmailed, flourishing businesses go bankrupt faster than you can read
this sentence, and internet stalkers and pedophiles having more than
enough resources at their disposal to find and locate their next victim
whom they met on chat a few minutes before.
:P
All in the name of advancement, when in fact this once slightly
offensive free-speech medium will be more integrated into real life than
anybody ever wanted-----and once you open up pandora's box you can never
close it.  Open the door once---and this internet of ours will be
corrupted beyond what you engineers could have thought of, because while
you (and I) are all busy thinking of ways to make things better and
easier for the end user, there are people who are thinking of ways to do
many other things to comprimise our efforts, to hurt people, to gain
profit at others expenses, etc.  Funny thing is----there may seem to be
alot of us, but there are a hell of alot more people out there wanting
to mis-use the internet.  And the ironic part is, they are networked as
well, if not better than we are networked together ourselves.  So
working out these tinsy little details, and setting standards is
ok----but before those standards are set---I think we need a few more
people thinking about the big-picture, because from what I've seen from
the ietf is about enough to make me sick.  This is even worse than that
rather bold move of intel's with their psn.  Well....big brother is
watching----I hope you prefer stepping on eggshells than going out with
the most bold statements possible.
Ryan Elson

---

From: Feico Dillema <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 17:10:48 +0200

> ietf is out proposing the PSN issue be integrated in packet sourcing. 

Can we all take a deep breath and ignore this post? At least not send
or CC your replies to the list?  Sigh, maybe it's time for a ipng-advocacy
mailing list?

Feico.