Subject: (ngtrans) Protocol Action: Stateless IP/ICMP Translator (SIIT) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:00:14 -0500

The IESG has approved the following Internet-Drafts as Proposed
Standards:

o Stateless IP/ICMP Translator (SIIT)
	<draft-ietf-ngtrans-siit-08.txt>

o Network Address Translation - Protocol Translation (NAT-PT] 
	<draft-ietf-ngtrans-natpt-07.txt>

These documents are the product of the Next Generation Transition
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy
Bush.

Technical Summary
 
  draft-ietf-ngtrans-siit-08.txt defines a method where IPv6-only hosts
  may interoperate with IPv4-only hosts.  Other components, which are
  not specified by this document, are a mechanism for the IPv6-only host
  to acquire a temporary IPv4 address, and a mechanism for providing
  routing to and from the temporary IPv4 address assigned to the host.
  The temporary IPv4 address is as an IPv4-translated IPv6 address and
  the packets travel through a stateless IP/ICMP translator that
  translates the packet headers between IPv4 and IPv6 and translate the
  addresses in those headers between IPv4 addresses on one side and
  IPv4-translated or IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses on the other side.

  draft-ietf-ngtrans-natpt-07.txt defines an IPv4-to-IPv6 transition
  mechanism which allows IPv6-only hosts to transparently communicate
  with IPv4-only hosts and vice versa using a combination of Network
  Address Translation and Protocol Translation. The scheme does not
  mandate dual-stacks or special purpose routing requirments (e.g.
  tunneling) on end hosts, but rather is based on a combination of
  address translation as described in draft-ietf-nat-terminology-03.txt
  and V6/V4 protocol translation theme as described above in siit.

Working Group Summary

  There was working group consensus that these documents become proposed
  standards.

Protocol Quality

  There are implementations of these mechanisms.  These documents were
  reviewed for the IESG by Randy Bush.