Subject: (ngtrans) IPv6 Policy Document Review - Call for comments

From: Anne Lord <[email-masked]> (by way of Bob Fink <[email-masked]>)
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 17:02:08 -0800

NGtrans Folk,

I just received this call for comments from APNIC, thus am forwarding for 
NGtrans review and comment.

Bob

=========================
Dear Tony, Bob and Alain,

In collaboration with the other RIRs, APNIC is about to issue
the following 'Call for Comments' on the: Provisional IPv6
Assignment and Allocation Policy Document - as this document
is now scheduled for public review.

The text of the announcement is appended to this email.
However, in commencing this review, we would specifically welcome
comments from yourselves and the members of the NGTrans working group.
In so doing, please feel free to distribute the text of this email to
relevant parties.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Anne
Manager, Member Services
APNIC--

***************************************************************************
			CALL FOR COMMENTS
			FIRST REVISION OF
	"PROVISIONAL IPv6 ASSIGNMENT AND ALLOCATION POLICY DOCUMENT"
***************************************************************************

On 28 May 1999, the three Regional Internet Registries (APNIC, ARIN, and
RIPE NCC) made available a draft of the "Provisional IPv6 Assignment and
Allocation Policy Document". Following feedback and review from the
community, the document was amended and jointly released on 14 July 1999.
(see http://www.apnic.net/drafts/ipv6/ipv6-policy-280599.html).

The policies contained in that document are the result of a collaborative
effort of the RIRs and their respective communities to provide a
responsible, globally consistent framework for the management of IPv6
address space. In July 1999, on the basis of that document, IANA made the
first formal delegations of IPv6 address space to the RIRs.

A formal review of the document was scheduled to start in October 1999, so
that early experiences of IPv6 operation and administration could be fully
evaluated and any necessary amendments made.

APNIC now calls for comments to assist in this first review. We encourage
you, as a member of the Internet community, to re-visit this document and
we invite you to make any comments you feel would be constructive to the
development of the next version.

In particular, APNIC seeks your comments on the following sections of the
document:

* 4.2.3.2 Multihomed Sites

This section was left unwritten in the first release, as there was
insufficient experience to draw on in formulating a policy. We encourage
any members of the community who have operational experience or interest in
IPv6 and multi-homing to contribute suggestions for this section.

* 4.2.8 Allocations to NLA Registries
* 4.3.1 Assignments to End-users

Review of these two sections is sought from members of the community who
have relevant operational experience.

* Definition of 'transit provider'

A definition for the above term was not included in the current document.
Comments and suggestions for an appropriate definition are encouraged.

Finally, we also encourage you to consider the "IPv6 sub-TLA Request Form"
  (http://www.apnic.net/apnic-bin/ipv6-subtla-request.pl) and provide any
comments or suggestions for improvements.

PLEASE SEND COMMENTS BY FRIDAY 21ST JANUARY 2000.

Discussion will take place on the "ipv6-registry" mailing list. To
subscribe to that list, send an email to <[email-masked]> with the
words "subscribe ipv6-registry" in the body of the message. If you would
prefer to make private comments, please contact Anne Lord <[email-masked]>.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
APNIC Secretariat                                 <[email-masked]>
                                                      Tel: +61-7-3367-0490
Asia Pacific Network Information Centre (APNIC) Ltd  Fax: +61-7-3367-0482
Level 1, 33 Park Road, PO Box 2131, Milton, QLD 4064, Australia
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +