Subject: (ngtrans) filtering against IPv6 in IPv4

From: Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦) <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:04:56 +0900 (JST)

Hi all,

Some ISPs configure IP filters NOT to forward "IPv6 in IPv4" packets.
This is obstacles for transition from IPv4 to IPv6.

Are there any activities in IETF to recommend ISPs not to filter "IPv6
in IPv4" packets? (e.g. IAB recommendation)

--Kazu

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:50:14 -0500

we should take this to the IPv6 Forum too.  Many of the ISPs are members of
the Forum.  I will send a note to the Forum.  But I agree this would be
a good statement from the IAB.

/jim

---

From: Bob Fink <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 07:43:11 -0800

Kazu,

 >in IPv4" packets? (e.g. IAB recommendation)

If you can point me to folk that really do this, I will try to dissaude them.

As for IETF policy recommendations or such, none that I know of.

Bob

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 06:36:44 -0600

This is not the sort of thing that the IAB can meaningfully recommend. 
It needs customer demand.

I suspect that this is not anti-IPv6 discrimination; more likely they
are filtering all protocol types except a few.

   Brian

"Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦)" wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
> IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
> FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
> Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
> --------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 21:54:50 -0500

>It needs customer demand.

I can see that good point.  In fact the IETF really can't do anything
about it nor should they.  Now that I think about it.

The IPv6 Forum can help resolve this.                 

>are filtering all protocol types except a few.

thats what I think too.

/jim