Subject: (ngtrans) NAT-PT

From: Kornel Szegedi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:58:34 +0100

Hi,

 I have a question about NAT.
 In rfc2766, chapter 3.1 "Basic-NAT-PT Operation" a technique is
introduced which does not use  DNS-ALG. The following example can be
found here:

| Say the IPv6 Node A wants to communicate with the IPv4 Node C.  Node A
creates a packet with:
|
|       Source Address, SA=FEDC:BA98::7654:3210 and
|       Destination Address, DA = PREFIX::132.146.243.30
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My question is: how can Node A acquire the address of Node C? Node A
sends an "AAAA" query to the local DNS server. Suppose it does not know
the address of Node C, so it forwards the query to the next level DNS
server. The query passes through the NAT-PT (if we assume that the
server is located outside the NAT-PT) but since no DNS-ALG is present
there it is not translated to a type "A" query,  and no address will be
returned by the DNS server.
    Is my understanding right or is there something I did't take into
account?

                        Kornel