Subject: (ngtrans) Update: draft-ietf-ngtrans-dstm-01.txt

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 10:10:57 -0500

Folks,

We have updated DSTM to draft-ietf-ngtrans-dstm-01.txt.  

You can retrieve the spec above until the IETF sends out annoucement via
anonymous ftp at sipper.zk3-x.dec.com and then 'cd' to 'pub' directory.

Laurent, Hossam, and I have worked with Alain Durand to fine tune
DSTM to denote mandatory and optional parts for DSTM.  The change
section is as follows:

Changes from draft-00 to draft-01

   1.  Added text explaining why the draft does not use DHCPv4 to assign
       IPv4 compatible addresses to the "Introduction".

   2.  Defined what is mandatory and what is optional and added relative
       text in various places to clarify this change.  And added RFC
       2119 adjectives to the spec where appropriate.

   3.  Scenario 1 where IPv6 node wants to communicate with IPv4
       node is mandatory.

   4.  Scenarios 2 and 3 are now optional where an IPv6 node is
       assigned an IPv4 compatible address because an external
       IPv4 node is attempting communications with the IPv6 node.

   5.  For scenario 1 DHCPv6 is only needed for DSTM and not the
       tightly coupled paradigm of a co-existent DHCPv6 and
       DNS server.  Also added mandatory and optional to the
       DSTM AIIH/NODE/ROUTER Diagram.

   6.  Made Static Tunnel Endpoints mandatory and Dyanmic Tunnel
       End Points optional.

   7.  Fixed DHCPv6 Reconfigure statements to take into account
       changes to the Reconfigure message in the DHCPv6 working
       group, to support AIIH processing.

I will not be at the IETF 47 meeting due to scheduling conflicts but
Laurent and Hossam will be there.  Also Laurent and Hossam now have
prototype of DSTM running and a minimal prototype of DHCPv6.  Whether
this is on the agenda or not is TBD by the chairs.

Please send your input to us on NGTRANS WG list.  

Laurent, Hossam, and I will review any input from IETF 47 after the
meeting and get back to you as soon as we can.  Obviously any final
decisions will have to be made after the IETF 47 meeting so the authors
can communicate the input to each other.  But we are open to your input
right now.

Also our hope is we have a solid draft for DHCPv6 after IETF47 as I
continue to work with Mike Carney and Charlie Perkins on that
specification.  You will see an updated DHCPv6 and Extensions spec soon.
We received an extensive amount of good input from the DHC and NGTRANS
(thank you ngtrans folks for helping with dhcpv6) groups and writing
it all up is quite involved.

regards,
/jim