Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Configured Tunnels

From: "Pedro Revriego" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 18:15:35 PDT

Hi Again,

In fact I was considering putting the tunnel information in the routing 
table (including the IPv4 addresses for the endpoints of the tunnel) and 
then in both incoming and outgoing messages you can use the table look up 
functions to figure out which tunnel you are using.

The problem is that in the RFC 1933 (actually in the draft) it is mentioned 
the use of NUD in the tunnels and link local addreses and
I do not know how to fit that in the routing table approach...

Best Regards,

Pedro Reviriego
______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: Brian Zill <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:57:07 -0700

> I have been looking at some implementations
> of configured IPv6 in IPv4 tunnels and most
> of then use a tunnel interface for each tunnel.

Our implementation currently uses a single tunnel pseudo-interface to handle
all tunnels.

> Are there any alternative approaches that do
> not use an interface to set the tunnel ??

Well, you can put them all on one as we did.  However, it's awkward for some
things, and has some non-intuitive side-effects.  So we're thinking about
changing to the separate pseudo-interface per configured tunnel model.

--Brian