Subject: RE: (ngtrans) draft-ietf-ngtrans-6to4-04.txt

From: "Klein, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 14:21:05 +0300

Brian, 

This draft it states:
	5.8 Usage within Intranets

	   There is nothing to stop the above scenario being deployed within
a
	   private corporate network as part of its internal transition to
IPv6;
	   the corporate IPv4 backbone would serve as the virtual link layer
for
	   individual corporate sites using 2002:: prefixes.  The V4ADDR
MUST be
	   a duly allocated global IPv4 address, which MUST be unique within
the
	   private network. The Intranet thereby obtains globally unique
IPv6
	   addresses even if it is internally using private IPv4 addresses
[RFC
	   1918].

This may seem like a silly question, but is there an allocation of addresses
to be used strictly for private networks similar to what is specified in 
RFC 1918        Address Allocation for Private Internets   February 1996

3. Private Address Space

	   The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved the
	   following three blocks of the IP address space for private
internets:

	     10.0.0.0        -   10.255.255.255  (10/8 prefix)
	     172.16.0.0      -   172.31.255.255  (172.16/12 prefix)
	     192.168.0.0     -   192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

	   We will refer to the first block as "24-bit block", the second as
	   "20-bit block", and to the third as "16-bit" block. Note that (in
	   pre-CIDR notation) the first block is nothing but a single class
A
	   network number, while the second block is a set of 16 contiguous
	   class B network numbers, and third block is a set of 256
contiguous
	   class C network numbers.

This is a very valid need for private networks that are currently using
these private networks, and wish them to remain private. There needs to be
some method for both converting these on an IPv4 network that is
transitioning to IPv6 network and in the final IPv6 network.